DAY 5: The 5-Step Method To Help You Declutter Clothes in Under an Hour

ApartmentTherapy
ApartmentTherapy Posts: 41

Community Manager

edited September 20 in Decluttering

It's day five of Apartment Therapy's Decluttering Cure! Let's spend some time today going through the clothes in our closets using a five-step method that'll help you declutter clothes in under an hour. Tell us below how it went today! What stood out as clear “yes” and “no” items for you in your closet?

Comments

• DanielaAraya
    DanielaAraya Posts: 388
    edited September 20

Time to turn all those 'maybes' into a confident 'yes' or 'no.' A good rule of thumb here is if you can't remember the last time you wore an item, it's probably time to part ways with it

Pro-Tip: Don't overthink it! 👗

• b8301
    b8301 Posts: 2

I tried to think if I wore any of these sweaters last winter and if I had not, boom -it went in the pile. I also purged the closet wearing shorts and tank top so I tried on stuff to see if I liked it or not and if I was so so, boom- pile. The things that were hard were sentimental sweatshirts and a couple of formal dresses. I DID get rid of at least two of these items (each category) that i did NOT purge last decluttering so I'm thinking maybe NEXT decluttering I will get rid of the ones I felt too sentimental about this time. make sense?

• Myk
    Myk Posts: 6

I was a day late, but couldn’t get to this task till the weekend. (Maybe because I’m scared of my closet?) Hopefully shoes count as clothes! I was able to put 4 pairs into my donate pile and to organize the rest of my shoes. It wasn’t as stressful as I thought it was going to be. May even tackle my summer clothes as I switch out to my winter clothes.

• DanielaAraya

Totally makes sense. I love your thinking with this, especially because it can take time with the sentimental pieces. Bit by bit!

• DanielaAraya

I definitely count shoes as clothes — both wearables 😂 Keep it going!!

• Green
    Green Posts: 1

I’m late to post on this topic, but here goes…

One thing to possibly consider is body shape and personal “color season” when decluttering clothes from your wardrobe and/or incorporating future items. It may sound old school, but better understanding the colors and styles that suit natural features can save time and money, prevent purchases that don’t flatter (future clutter) and instill confidence that you are projecting a solid personal look. Deciphering what truly looks/feels good is one way to help define personal style versus being swept away by fast-turning trends that result in a chaotic closet. (Note: I’m not a color season consultant- I’ve researched the topic for free online, am a recent adapter, and am continuously learning and striving to build a modest wardrobe that works.)

I also find it helpful to lean toward quality and preferred fabrics. Think about your lifestyle and what clothing supports it. Streamline accordingly.

During this decluttering exercise, I admitted that a vest that I technically love (in a burnt orange color) really wasn’t doing me any favors. Because the color doesn’t suit me, I don’t gravitate toward wearing it, just admiring it on the hook in the coat closet. I will sell it online. 

Good luck to everyone during this Decluttering Cure!

• DanielaAraya

Love this! I just got my color analysis done and it has been interesting to compare my "true" color palette to the colors I wear normally. I've had friends who have redone their entire wardrobe after getting their analysis done. It's nice to have something to help you as you go through your closet