Renovate a very small kitchen

ahbeaty
ahbeaty Posts: 1
edited September 22 in Design Questions

I have an 8'x10' kitchen that is twenty years old. Would like to replace cabinet doors, countertops, remove some storage area, replace a supersize refrigerator..

Comments

• DanielaAraya
    DanielaAraya Posts: 400

Sounds like quite the project! I'd love to see photos if you would like to share 🙂 When I tackled my kitchen renovation, one of the first things I did was remove my supersized fridge. I got this one from Iio because it reminded me of the look of a SMEG. I love it! It's narrow but still fits so much

• CullenOrmond
    CullenOrmond Posts: 167

Expert

wow @DanielaAraya! I've never heard of that brand before and it's absolutely gorgeous, I love all the colors. @ahbeaty I'd love to hear what your desired design style is. I often write about kitchen transformations on The Kitchn and I'd love to share some inspiration!

• DanielaAraya

Right?? They're like the SMEG's cute little cousin 😂

• First of all, plan for cabinets that go to the ceiling to make the eye look upward and make the kitchen less cramped looking. They will also give you great storage for items you don't use often. Second, IKEA will give you ideas. They have lots of ideas for 8" x 10" kitchens. Their prices are good and the quality is good enough to be considered one of the top five cabinets in Consumer Reports. What's great about IKEA kitchens is that cabinets go on a rail that's on the wall and the cabinet fronts are easily changeable if you get bored with them. There are also some companies that make cabinet fronts that fit IKEA cabinets. Third, despite what trendy colors are in today, go with neutral cabinets, even white. Add colorful accessories for pop. Speaking of trends, don't go with open shelving. Open shelves look nice in pictures, but they require frequent cleaning, especially if they're near the stove, and what if you find a dead bug in a plate? Eewww!

• DanielaAraya

Seconding this about IKEA cabinets! Our cabinet bases are from IKEA and they've held up great. We used Semihandmade to get custom fronts. You can go neutral, or choose one of their color options. I think they even sell fronts that you can paint any custom color. Go with whatever floats your boat and makes you happy 🙂