Kitchen face lift

Netta77
Netta77 Posts: 1

I live in a small efficiency with one of the world's smallest kitchens and it is in need of a face life. Other than new appliances (planning stainless for stove & dishwasher) and new floors, and hardware for cabinets, I don't know what to do to make it look less dated. My cabinets are in great shape so I am on the fence about painting them and I am not sure I can afford replacing the granite countertops. Thinking of painting my walls a light rose (Sherwin-Williams Dressy Rose to be exact) but after that I am lost. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Comments

• AmritaThakkar
    AmritaThakkar Posts: 23

Expert

@Netta77 If you're on the fence about painting, there are some great renter-friendly kitchen cabinet upgrades in this piece that work just as well even if you're not renting. I've also seen people use contact paper on their fridge and dishwasher to add some color.

You could also add fun electric outlet covers! A backsplash could also add some movement and texture, especially if you play with patterns and colors.

• lydia_h
    lydia_h Posts: 5
    edited July 25

I just moved into a kitchen with similar cabinets and I've gotten some inspiration from this article about color palettes that make the honey oak feel a bit fresher!

https://stylebyemilyhenderson.com/blog/5-color-palettes-to-freshen-up-a-tired-honey-oak-kitchen

• AlisonGoldman
    AlisonGoldman Posts: 20

Expert

@Netta77, I think your cabinets look beautiful and like they're in wonderful shape. I think you're right that hardware and flooring could make a big impact, and I agree with @AmritaThakkar that a backsplash could be huge here, too! I also can't see the ceiling light fixture but wonder if you could bring in some warmth by switching that out.

• CharliPenn
    CharliPenn Posts: 57

Expert

edited July 26

@Netta77 I understand not wanting to undertake a cabinet painting job. In addition to the excellent advice above, I'd say, try a peel and stick backsplash — the right pick can really transform a kitchen and it's very non-committal in case you don't love it or change your mind. There are some great examples and advice here with pro tips too.

• DanielaAraya
    DanielaAraya Posts: 304

That's a beautiful paint color you've chosen — it's going to look so pretty! I'm echoing all of the suggestions here. Hardware swaps, peel and stick, and having fun with smaller kitchen decor/accessories can go a long way

• MeganBakerDetloff
    MeganBakerDetloff Posts: 100

Expert

@Netta77 ok this is the most adorable little kitchen! the cabinets are in GREAT shape and i think you have a real opportunity to lean into the color vs painting them (so much easier!). i have a vanity in a similar color in my bathroom, and to work with it, i treated that tone as a swatch on the color palette i was making for the room. using a similar method might help you decide on a wall/backsplash color that brings out the best in the cabinets vs fighting against it. i'd advise putting a swatch of your chosen paint color next to a swatch that has a similar color to your cabinets and another with a similar color to your countertop — it's really helpful for figuring out how to balance the colors together (or whether they can look good together at all).

Another option for the cabinets is to just partially cover them in contact paper, like our social media director did in her apartment. another idea i think is worth stealing from her is the art on the fridge!

• Judyjudyjudy
    Judyjudyjudy Posts: 7

what a lovely kitchen. Great cabinets, counter top, tap and under mount sink. We’re it for me personally I believe I would use a contact paper in stainless look for the dishwasher and stove, then also a peel and stick likely a stainless pattern. Then I would decorate, and I think I would see about painting the adjoining wall black maybe with chalk paint, with magnetic paint under it . I feel a bit like I would love a “Julia Child” wall there, but you would have to use shallow items to avoid space limitations. Hope you enjoy. It’s a great spot.