The Brownstone Boys Answered All Your Renovation Questions!

brownstoneboys
brownstoneboys Posts: 25 ✭✭✭
edited July 17 in Design Questions

In case you missed it, the Brownstone Boys joined the community to talk all things design, DIY, and renovating. Catch up on the conversation and check out this thread to get all their great ideas and advice for your home!

Comments

• Rachel
    Rachel Posts: 15 ✭✭

what are some of your favorite places to find vintage hardware? I'm renting in a historic building where they've added some renter-grade knobs and fixtures, and I really want to replace them with something more true to the home…but I'm not sure where to start!

• CullenOrmond
    CullenOrmond Posts: 149

Expert

I loved reading about this Manhattan apartment's kitchen makeover (and then seeing the rest of the renovation on your website!). I read that the apartment is only 500 square feet. Can you share some tips for maximizing small spaces?

• DanielleBlundell
    DanielleBlundell Posts: 61

Expert

My 1920s home has beautiful stained glass windows in the living room, and they could use a good clean! What would you recommend for that? Soap and water? I don't want to do any damage because they're in great shape, but maybe they need something stronger?

• Hollis
    Hollis Posts: 9

so excited for the discussion!! what's one little thing that you think belongs in every room?

• karis
    karis Posts: 2

Hi. Do you have any ideas or tips on how you approach a room's furniture layout? Specifically large open space rooms that need zones and flow?

• Who/where are your biggest sources of inspiration?

• VixonJ
    VixonJ Posts: 7 ✭✭

What are some of your best tips to help maintain an old home (from the 70s and before?) What fixtures are good to keep/renew versus ones that should be updated/renovated?

• Victakespics
    Victakespics Posts: 1

Where do I start if I want to redo my apartment galley kitchen?

• Goldil0xs
    Goldil0xs Posts: 1

Please help me. i dont know how to make it look nice. My problems are:-

• I want to paint my wall/wallpaper but dont know what color suitable for my not-enough-sunlight tiny hall.
    • I dont know how to re-arrange the furniture around the hall due to space constraint.
    • Im changing my floor to brown/beige colored vinyl flooring tomorrow.

Thank you for your help.

Much love. ❤️

• Yolo
    Yolo Posts: 1

Good afternoon,

We’re buying a new build home that only comes with 4in backsplash in the kitchen. Is peel and stick tile an option that will stick to flat paint?

• Carolyn
    Carolyn Posts: 1

Expert

Love this! Is there a home project that you're most proud of, or one that was most meaningful to you?

• milah
    milah Posts: 1

Hi! I currently have a big blank white wall in front of my bed. I didn't opt-in for a TV because I have a projector so I was wondering if you have any tips/ideas that can make the space below more aesthetically looking? I can have a wooden dresser but it certainly takes a lot of space is quite bulky so any inspo would be a great help! Thank you!

• rachel2535
    rachel2535 Posts: 1

What is the most unlikely place where you've found inspiration?

• DanielaAraya
    DanielaAraya Posts: 304

How often do you source antiques or vintage from places outside of NYC? Do you have any tips for scoring a dream item virtually?

• DanielaAraya
    DanielaAraya Posts: 304

Do you have a favorite design "rule" you like to break?

• MeganBakerDetloff
    MeganBakerDetloff Posts: 100

Expert

What are your favorite resources for renovations that have a vintage vibe? Any favorite shops we should check out??

• MeganBakerDetloff

Expert

Which DIYs do you think are EASIER than they seem, and which are harder? Are there any DIYs you'll never do again?

• BlairDonovan
    BlairDonovan Posts: 53

Expert

edited July 16

What are your tips for curating furniture and decor pieces that feel timeless/won't go out of style in the next 2-3 years? (Aka how to not be overly tempted by trends or strike the right balance between new vs. old!)

• MeganBakerDetloff

Expert

What's the first project you do in every home?

• brownstoneboys
    edited July 16

Hi Rachel! Great question. Hardware can totally tranform a space and we've seen plenty of rentals with renter-grade options that can easily be changed. In NYC we love Olde Good Things but if you need a place to get new hardware that has character like vintage check out House of Anitque Hardware (.com). We also still love ebay!

• TerriPous
    TerriPous Posts: 31

Expert

Looove your approach to restoration. What's your favorite historical architectural feature?

• brownstoneboys

OOOoo we love a stained glass! Especially if restoring. The key thing while cleaning stained glass is to spray with gentle cleaners. Spray onto the micro fiber towel rather than directly onto the window to avoid saturation. Ideally you want to mix water with a mild/neutral PH soap (go Dr. Bronners!)

• JadaWong
    JadaWong Posts: 2

Any tips on how to mix different decor styles in a home so everything looks cohesive and intentional, and not messy and thrown together?

• KylieMcConville
    KylieMcConville Posts: 15

Expert

So happy you're here, @brownstoneboys!!! Do you have any tips for making a rental feel more charming when you can't make permanent changes to the structure and layout? Would love any ideas!

• brownstoneboys

Hey Vixon! Thanks for your question! The works never ends in an old home! We pretty much move from one project to another in our house. We like to create routines around our maintenance on things. Repainting wood windows, servicing a boiler, checking the roof for leaks should all be done regularly. Set up an annual (or more often if necessary) schedule for maintaining everything. Also, have your resources on the ready when needed. If you have a good plumber, painter, plasterer….etc ready to go it won't be as stressful when you need them.

• brownstoneboys

Hi Karis! Thanks for your question! We totally agree that it you will want to create zones in those large rooms. Think about how you want to use the space. Do you need a dining area and a living area? You can create zones with rugs and lighting. Don't street about the overhead lights, you can always add a floor lamp or a wall sconce (even if it has to be with a cord). We like rooms and the zones in them to have purpose. So start with the purpose and design around them.

• brownstoneboys

We always start a kitchen design with the layout. That is especially important with a galley kitchen! We are doing a petit one now and we shrunk almost every appliance. It was a tiny kitchen with a big range and fridge. We sized them down so that we have room for more storage and counter space. Once we had that set we could fill in the design around it. Good luck!!

• brownstoneboys

Yes! Fortunately changing a light fixture is usually a pretty easy DIY.. Obviously you need to be careful with any electrical work (turn off breaker box!) but if there's existing lights in place and you're wanting to swap out then it really is just having your replacement fixture ready and a helping hand to help you hold the fixture. Check out our blog post about replacing light fixtures!

• SNandez
    SNandez Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

We’ve started stripping the wood in our rental apartment, what are your best tips for getting paint out fine lines without damaging the wood?

• brownstoneboys

HI Karis, Thanks for your question! We definitely agree that you'll want to create zones in those large rooms. Start by deciding what you want to use the room for. Do you need dining and living in the same space? You can create zone with rugs and lighting. Don't sweat where the overhead lights are, you can always add lighting with floor lamps and wall sconces (even if they are on a cord). We like rooms and zones in the them to have purpose. So start with that and then you can design around it.

• brownstoneboys

Hi Haley! Good question and we had to think about it for a few. You know what, it costs the exact same amount to paint a wall a deep, rich, color as it does white! In fact, while you're at it color drench it by painting the walls, trim, and ceiling all the same color. It will make a big impact!

• MeganBakerDetloff

Expert

• brownstoneboys

The bones are here! Ok this space is screaming for color. Once your floors are in (congrats btw!) take any leftovers and check out Farrow & Ball. We love their curated colors so much and might just inspire the right tone and color for the space. We would paint the whole room including the ceiling! That medallion would be gorgeous in a color!

• brownstoneboys

Hi there! Thanks for your question! YES there are some really nice peel and stick tile options out there now. We redid a rental apartment and peel and stick tiled an entire column in a black glossy tile and it looked great https://thebrownstoneboys.com/projects/rental-apartment-transformations/ .

Check out Wallpops, they have some great options!

• brownstoneboys

Definitely! Our first DIY project as a couple and in our home (right after we purchased) was stripping our woodwork. We're talking stair bannister, wood shutters, and doors. It was a labor of love and somehow we survived and didnt kill each other. lol. We still look at our woodwork 5 years later and are just so pleased with it. We never did anything of this scale before so it came with a lot of sweat and tears but we conquered and set it up for the next 100 years!

• brownstoneboys

Hey Rebecca! Try adding a large mirror. This really helps reflect the natural light in the space and will even make your space appear larger! And if all else fails lean into the dark and cozy design moment.