What's the best piece of decorating advice you've ever received?

I'm curious if anyone has received design advice that really stuck with them. I'm inching toward the finish line of a renovation project at home, and I'd love to hear any words of wisdom you've been told while decorating/completing your own project.

Let's hear it! 👇️

Tagged:

Comments

• CullenOrmond
    CullenOrmond Posts: 149

Expert

To take your time! In the past, I've moved into an apartment and immediately filled it with cheap, trendy buys just so the space wouldn't feel so empty. As time went on, I realized those pieces weren't reflective of my true style and ended up swapping them out, which was wasteful and more costly in the end.

• Desert_Coastal
    Desert_Coastal Posts: 3

Don't go too small with area rugs. You can "cheat" a larger space by only having the front legs of the furniture on the rug, but bigger is always better.

• DanielaAraya
    DanielaAraya Posts: 317

I'm guilty of this too, and it's such advice to try and take your time with things! It can be difficult when you're just itching to fill a space up

• DanielaAraya
    DanielaAraya Posts: 317

Love this! Bigger rugs make all the difference ❤️

• kwilks67
    kwilks67 Posts: 6

I totally agree with this! Also really helpful when shopping secondhand. Sometimes I'll have a really specific vision of what I'm looking for (or my apartment has some serious constraints that require certain dimensions). The more I can tell myself to keep checking FB marketplace or other thrift stores and not just settle for the first cheap thing that works, the more it pays off. I have found super unique storage and shelving options that are PERFECT and things that I will keep for a long time. I just had to wait it out a little