Do you prefer one BIG statement piece of art or a gallery wall?

MeganBakerDetloff
MeganBakerDetloff Posts: 110

Expert

edited July 2 in Design Questions

When you're choosing art for your home, what do you gravitate toward? Does it depend on the room you're decorating? I would love to hear what you think!

Do you prefer one BIG statement piece of art or a gallery wall? 12 votes

one BIG piece of statement art
66%
AlisonGoldmanDesignwithSollamandafrederickpattycatalanoCheriInfraLibbyCocomegi3a67553 8 votes
lots of smaller pieces as a gallery wall
8%
Amber 1 vote
something in between!
25%
StephanieNguyenDanielaArayaAnuca 3 votes

Comments

• pattycatalano
    pattycatalano Posts: 4

I love the look of big statement art but always end up with gallery wall b/c the larger art pieces (and their frames) tend to be quite expensive.

• amandafrederick
    amandafrederick Posts: 3

I love one big piece of art and have found a variety of ways over the years to grow my collection in a cost conscious way through digitized prints, framing fabrics/ scarves/ small rugs, and through thrifting and antique shops. Thrift shops in particular are a great way to get large frames inexpensively if you have some ideas for how to fill them.

• DanielaAraya
    DanielaAraya Posts: 388
    something in between!

Same thoughts over here! I really lucked out at our local antique shop and found a huge piece of art for my living room. Otherwise, I tend to mix different sizes since it's a more budget-friendly option. One hack I'm going to try soon is framing something small and sentimental, like a letter or postcard, in a cheap, larger frame with a white background — that way, you get the feel of larger art, but it's really just something small and special in the center.

@amandafrederick thrift shops really are so great for finding those larger frames! 🙏

• StephanieNguyen
    StephanieNguyen Posts: 101

Expert

something in between!

I definitely think it depends on the room and available space — but I definitely gravitate toward a gallery wall. Especially in living rooms!

• TerriPous
    TerriPous Posts: 33

Expert

Gallery wall all the way!!! I love a collected feel!

• Amber
    Amber Posts: 8
    lots of smaller pieces as a gallery wall

I think it depends on the room, but I love a gallery wall somewhere! Also, why not both together?

• MeganBakerDetloff

Expert

@Amber there's something so cozy about a gallery wall! where do you find the art for yours?

• MeganBakerDetloff

Expert

@TerriPous me too! it makes a space feel more homey, i think

• Cheri
    Cheri Posts: 20 ✭✭

I prefer one or two statement pieces - I am working toward minimalism… a small place can look busy or even overwhelmed by too many “things.”