Empty Projection Wall

sam_o
sam_o Posts: 50

Community Manager

edited July 27 in Design Questions

I use the large wall in my living room as a projection spot to watch movies, but when it’s not in use, it looks so bare and boring. I thought maybe adding a theater style curtain could be nice to cover it when not using it, but wondering if anyone has any other suggestions that might be easier than installing a whole curtain system on very tall ceilings.

Comments

• DanielleBlundell
    DanielleBlundell Posts: 61

Expert

@samAT would you ever do a tapestry hung on a bar/curtain rod above the "screen" area that could be rolled up when you are watching TV? i have a projector in my bedroom and appreciate the screenless look, but the wall's so bare when nothing is projected on it, so I get this issue!

• BlairDonovan
    BlairDonovan Posts: 53

Expert

Oooh I honestly love the idea of a curtain wall! One of my favorite AT house tours has this behind the couch and I think it looks so chic. You could do a fun color or keep it really simple with white curtains. Either way it could be a really pretty backdrop to your decor (which I love BTW)

• MaxwellAT
    MaxwellAT Posts: 52

Expert

Interesting problem, and I have to say that I love @adriennebreaux 's solution, but can see that it might not be practical for such a big space…. nevertheless, I'd say the easiest, cleanest solution would be to hang a light piece of art in the center of the wall and simply take it down and lean it against the left wall when watching a show…. Curtains would be more complex to pull off, and your projection space is so large, you'd never be able to totally pull the curtains out of the way!

• DanielaAraya
    DanielaAraya Posts: 317

I recently saw this amazing DIY from Laura Jackson. She worked with a carpenter to put a piece of artwork on door rollers to slide it in/out when she needed to use her TV. Your projection looks really big, so I don't think this exact idea could work 😅 but what if you somehow hung a large (light) piece of artwork that swung open like a book to either side of your wall? I'm daydreaming over here haha. I love the suggestions in this thread too!

• AlisonGoldman
    AlisonGoldman Posts: 20

Expert

I love all of these suggestions! This is a wild idea, but what if you painted a mural of a frame — almost like adding moulding but more fun and colorful — and then projected inside of it when you wanted to watch?

• Salumbre
    Salumbre Posts: 12

First, I must say that is one adorable living room. That blush coffee table is LIFE! Where did you get it?

All the suggestions sound great to me. I'm partial to the canvas one —I think it's genius.

Another possibility is to hang a retractable projector screen. You expand it when it's movie time, and when not in use it is rolled up and the gallery wall of your dreams is on full display. Easy peasy.

• john9536
    john9536 Posts: 1
    edited July 22

I absolutely love all of these suggestions! Here’s a bold idea: what if you painted a mural that looks like a frame? It would be like adding decorative moulding, but with a vibrant and artistic twist. This could turn a simple wall into a captivating focal point, adding personality and color to the space.

• Salumbre
    Salumbre Posts: 12

By the way, I totally thought this was my idea, until I realized I have seen it done in an Alexandra Gater video.