What to do with this large attic guest bedroom/entertaining space?

Hey there!

I'm hoping for some help with designing my large open attic space. We moved in recently and are renting from friends, so we have lots of agency to make the space our own.

Right now, as you can see, we use one side for work, and then we have a big open space in the center where we will place a sleeper sofa and ottoman. But beyond that, we have no plans for the space. How do we make it feel cozy and comfortable for visitors, as this will be a guest bedroom, but also usable for us to relax and kick back? Is there a rug of any size you would recommend?

For context, we live in a farmhouse, and our aesthetic is typically modern/eclectic farmhouse.

Main Image

Image of Low Walls

Comments

• CullenOrmond
    CullenOrmond Posts: 149

Expert

@carriej this is an incredible room! I think lighting is everything — getting some vintage bulbs and cozy table lamps (Pooky has some great options!) would make it moody. additionally, I feel like some short bookshelves be great up against the low walls. this looks like the perfect place to curl up with a great book!

• carriej
    carriej Posts: 4

I LOVE the bookshelf idea. We'd likely need to make something custom, but I'm now going to keep a close eye out everywhere I go.

Thank you for the link to Pooky - hadn't heard of them before but this is my exact style.

• NikiCreatives
    NikiCreatives Posts: 45

Have you considered making this a nice yoga space? Seems just a bit too small for a guest space.

Else, I think getting two beanbags and a warm lamp might make this space feel much cozier. I'd definitely get a different rug - probably a huge white one without any patterns.

Also you could redesign it in 3d before buying/removing anything. Tools like homestyler or planner5d should help (I prefer the latter).

It's a lovely space you have there, overall!

• AmritaThakkar
    AmritaThakkar Posts: 23

Expert

@carriej This is such a cute space! If you can, I'd suggest painting the walls to something darker — maybe burgundy or eggplant — to add some warmth. A shag or tufted carpet might also help with making in making the space cozier — you can check out our list of places to buy affordable rugs for some great options!

• carriej

As I was sitting in the empty room today, I thought it would make a great yoga and meditation space. Thank you for this suggestion. Also big thanks for the 3D tool recommendation. I have been looking for something like that.

• carriej

Thank you! I love the idea of an eggplant color in this room. It's such a giant open space that I think that would really help. What do you think of just doing part of the room in an eggplant color? Would that look totally cheesy?

• MeganBakerDetloff
    MeganBakerDetloff Posts: 100

Expert

@carriej i think if you do a dark color go all-in — ceiling too! but i also think that this color is actually pretty nice! do you know what the color is? you could use the same on the ceiling to help make it feel a little cozier, especially since the ceiling is so low in parts.

• NikiCreatives
    NikiCreatives Posts: 45
    edited September 6

Only welcome, cheers! Glad I could help a bit ;)

Would love to see the updated space. Are you planning to share it later?

• DanielaAraya
    DanielaAraya Posts: 304

I love the idea of combining these suggestions. Book nook, meditation space, somewhere to lounge —like a DIY conversation pit that is made for hanging out and relaxing! I don't think it would look cheesy if you painted only the nook walls and ceiling part of that area. It would make it pop and feel like its own little space

• sima8221
    sima8221 Posts: 3

This space has so much potential! To make it cozy and functional, I’d suggest adding a large, soft area rug and a few comfy poufs or lounge chairs. Maybe paint one of the shorter walls in a deep, warm color like burgundy to make the room feel more intimate. You could also consider adding a small bookshelf or reading nook in the corner for extra character. Can't wait to see how you design it!