Front Porch Ideas?

Hi! My poor front porch is in need of some assistance. I plan on trying to power wash the brick and generally cleaning it up.

But any ideas for giving it more curb appeal? I was kind of thinking about painting the alcove walls and maybe even painting the tile in front of the brick?

Comments

• BlairDonovan
    BlairDonovan Posts: 53

Expert

edited August 28

I vote paint! i think painting the door and alcove the same color could look really sophisticated. Or you could just paint the front door a fun color (maybe a hunter green??) and the surrounding space white, like this

• DanielleBlundell
    DanielleBlundell Posts: 61

Expert

I actually really like your terracotta tiles; the squares make the spot look really modern! I think you could also go black, dark gray, or navy with you door, definitely something dark and moody if you decide to work with the terracotta! Have you thought about changing out the light fixture? Something matte black or brass would pop here, especially if you went with any of our color suggestions

• SarahEverett
    SarahEverett Posts: 51

Expert

edited August 29

I agree with @BlairDonovan and @DanielleBlundell ! Love the terracotta tiles, would paint the alcove and maybe spray paint or change out the light fixture. You could also add some fun house numbers or swap out your door hardware. I like these:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/993309239/contemporary-house-numbers-address-sign

https://www.schoolhouse.com/products/factory-2-indoor-outdoor-sconce

https://www.amazon.com/SNBTLA-Matte-Black-Front-Door-Handle/dp/B0C5T6S64W

• Jbirdwell
    Jbirdwell Posts: 2

Thanks all!! you've given me some great ideas.

@BlairDonovan — love the idea of painting the door. Eventually I would like to get a new glass screen door that actually shows the original wood door to the house, which is painted black and very pretty. In the meantime, I think I'll try to paint this aluminum one the same color (just need to figure out what kind of paint will adhere to it).

@DanielleBlundell — you've convinced me to keep the terracotta! and yes, definitely agree to changing out the light fixture. it's original to the house and I think it would take me 30 bottles of brasso to restore it to its original color (and tons of elbow grease).

@SarahEverett — those are cute products! thanks so much for sending. def want to change out the light fixture so I'll see if this one will fit

• Zephy
    Zephy Posts: 20

Hi, @jbirdwell! Just to be ornery — I really like the light fixture (and the square tiles). My vote would be to clean/polish/maybe spraypaint it. Especially since you spoke the magic words "original to the house," you've got me thinking it's a valuable antique! Well, OK, maybe not valuable — but at least vintage, and it gives the idea of what the builders were trying to do when they built the place. I'm a big lover of traditional styles like this one and I almost always like the original stuff better than bland modern styles. This is personal taste, of course — no right or wrong.

My vote is to paint the door and alcove in not-beige colors, but something that harmonizes nicely with your brick and terracotta. I like the hunter green idea, or even a darker green that almost looks like black, but richer. Or of course black, or charcoal gray, maybe even a dark brown? Or blue-gray, if you want a lighter color. And a doormat in a coordinating or at least quieter color or pattern (I think the rainbow is too many colors with the brick).

Good luck!

• NikiCreatives
    NikiCreatives Posts: 45

I'd clean it up and remove that rug, for starters. As for the painting, I really liked the suggestions from @BlairDonovan and @DanielleBlundell! 🤩

• LauraD
    LauraD Posts: 1

I would also recommend a potted plant, climbing, with a trellis, to hide that unsightly cord from whatever design elements you choose.

• LizzyFrancis
    LizzyFrancis Posts: 54

Expert

I hate to give you work, but I agree with @Zephy - keep the original light fixture (if you can and want to.) I'll echo what almost everyone else has said here, I love the terracotta tiles. And before you pull out all the brasso and paint, potted plants go a long way :) Although maybe it's time for a pumpkin instead!

• MaxwellAT
    MaxwellAT Posts: 52

Expert

@Jbirdwell Agreed with all the former and did quick sketch. I really like the trellis idea.. Also, a coconut sisal rug to fill your entrance space would be really nice. You can get them cut to any size right here at Cocomatsnmore.com.

I mean right outside your door. This pic shows one inside..

• Abbylane
    Abbylane Posts: 8

@Jbirdwell thanks for sharing your lovely entry. Loving the doormat - a great spot for something bright and welcoming. I agree with some of the comments above - a dark color brings Water energy which is great for this area of the home. Adding a secondary color around the door will really make it pop, I like the idea of a lighter color for these walls to contrast the brick and the dark door…