Long hallway needs some love!

isabelaeh
isabelaeh Posts: 21
edited August 20 in Design Questions

Hi all! I have this very long narrow hallway ~20 ft and its proven difficult for me to figure out how to decorate. Here are my notes/feelings:

I like having the giant frames, but I think the white is too much and have been thinking about replacing with some medium wood color ones.

Would sconces look cool between the frames?

I have been researching flush mounts or hanging lights, but wasn't sure if three in a row would be too crazy? Or maybe i just put one in the middle? I need to figure out how to get softer lightbulbs/light bulb covers.

The runner is definitely too small – I purchased it on a whim a few years ago, but never was super in love with the colors ( but liked the design and that it was handmade)

For context all three rooms(bedroom, office, bathroom) are painted – dark green, lightish green, terracotta pink.

Comments

• heyjudith
    heyjudith Posts: 13

This is a nice space - the floors are really pretty. I think a few sconces, evenly spaced, would look lovely here. Consider painting the walls a light pink or a very soft green; this way, the transition to the rooms will flow well. The rug is beautiful. Look at getting a couple of plain jute runners, place one on either end, and this one in the middle. Rugs USA has these in a "bleached" option that would go well with your existing runner. Hang art on the walls. I hope this helps!

• Megandf
    Megandf Posts: 7

What do you think about a faux-beam look on the ceiling?

• BlairDonovan
    BlairDonovan Posts: 53

Expert

oooh so much great space to work with here! i also love the idea of putting sconces in between the frames, but i'd stick with something that doesn't jut out too far from the wall since it looks like a pretty compact hallway. you could also try cordless picture frame lights to ago above each frame and add a little extra visual interest. Pooky Lighting has a lot of great cordless options!

• pollyallen7982
    pollyallen7982 Posts: 3

I would start at the front door. A solid rich black color with a bluish undertone...Behrs color of the year. Paint that color on all the door that open to hallway. Since your main room is white stick to white but drag a pattern into the paint with a notched out squeegee or brush...for texture. Next the table doesn't work, if you have to keep it try the softest of pinks. The object on it, transition to slightly deeper pink or pale soft green. Go with all the picture frames going black. Space like picture frames together. Large one in a straight series, small ones. can go in a vertical line. Think of each part of the hallway as a segment. Buy 3 jute rugs, more texture. Use the rugs to create groupings for pictures. You definitely need some new lighting, in 3s. Look at your local building thrift store or restoration architecture stores. So problem solved in 3s. 3 paints, 3 rugs, 3 lights. A beautiful solution at a low cost. Good luck

• DanielaAraya
    DanielaAraya Posts: 304

Gorgeous space! I like the idea of sconces in between the artwork on the walls. How do you feel about painting the ceiling? Something like this could be a really fun way to draw your eye up and lead you into the rest of your space

• isabelaeh

Thank you for your suggestions! This is super helpful.

• isabelaeh

Oh I never thought of that! I think thats a great idea to give more detail to the space and elevate it out of its cookie cutter feel.

• isabelaeh

Picture frame lighting is definitely a great idea! I definitely want to get higher quality frames made because the ikea frames are done for me haha then it will look elevated!

• isabelaeh

I think I've definitely been thinking about painting the ceiling! I wish I could paint the door, but I think the landlord might have an issue with that. Thank you!

• DanielaAraya
    DanielaAraya Posts: 304

You could always try peel and stick on the door if painting that isn’t an option!

• Mrsmlutz
    Mrsmlutz Posts: 1
    edited August 28

Not these colors, but something like this would be interesting!

https://pin.it/2h3umnTfw

• TreyfVixen
    TreyfVixen Posts: 3

Beautiful floors. II too love the idea of color - doors especiially. You could always use peel and stick wallpaper on the door.

I have an ancient dog who needs some grip assistance down the hall. I got two 6 foot washable rugs. They are surprisiinigly soft underfoot and afforable. I got two shorter ones because 12 foot of runner is going iinto no washing machine round these parts.

I couldnt fiind the link to the rugs II bought but here are two of zillion options

https://www.homedepot.com/p/SAFAVIEH-Tucson-Beige-Red-3-ft-x-8-ft-Machine-Washable-Distressed-Medallion-Border-Runner-Rug-TSN132B-28/324342469

https://www.rugsusa.com/products/tropics-washable-rug-multicolor-runner?variant=47064787091512&query_id=fb9094b349902019e2adf52c6ca43fe8

• SarahEverett
    SarahEverett Posts: 51

Expert

For sconces, I love Eny Lee Parker's collab with Mitzi. Plus they're having a LDW sale 👀.