Bedroom

veeSC
veeSC Posts: 1

hello! I have a room with a tiny cupboard that doesn’t actually fit anything in it. My room has a sloped ceiling on one side. Any ideas on how I can add more shelving, hanging areas? I was thinking maybe recessed shelves in the sloped wall side? The room is too small to add a piece of furniture like a cupboard. Thank you!

Comments

• NikiCreatives
    NikiCreatives Posts: 45

I liked the recessed shelves ideas, should fit nicely. And I was thinking about getting a bed with a storage space but it will require some extra time and money. You could also recreate this space in 3d (something like planner5d) and play around with various options there before buying/changing anything.

Hope this helps a bit!

• CullenOrmond
    CullenOrmond Posts: 149

Expert

hello @veeSC! I love IKEA's MALM storage bed — that could free up some space by storing seasonal, less-used items underneath the bed?

• Zephy
    Zephy Posts: 20

I think you've already done a great job maximizing storage with ready-made solutions — this is a tough situation! My ideas are: 1) Get rid of half of what you own. (Ha — that one never works for me either.) 2) Custom solutions like made-to-order shelving or a custom-built storage system with hanging rods, drawers, etc. make the best use of space because they can be tailored to use every inch and not leave anything extra left over. Of course, that's expensive. Just for fun, you can design a storage system online at the Container Store website using Elfa brand components, and that might give you some ideas.

• nellgo64
    nellgo64 Posts: 2

Under-bed storage! It looks like you have the height to fit boxes underneath; they're great for seasonal clothing/shoes. You could also get an Ikea Malm bed (there are 1000000 of them on Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist for CHEAP), but IMO storage boxes would be easier to manage + your bed frame looks unique in that it has that headboard shelf — I wouldn't want to give that up!

I'd also suggest mounting your TV on a flexible arm to the wall in the corner to free up a large section of your current wardrobe. You'd be able to view it from bed, and then you could use that whole middle section of your closet area to hang clothes.

You can also look into an inexpensive shoe rack that would fit at the bottom of the rack. You have a good amount of space where you could stack a few rows of shoes, that could free up the very top of your wardrobe. While you're getting storage boxes, you can also pick up some smaller boxes to consolidate the existing wardrobe. It doesn't look like you need MORE hanging space, just a reorganization of the space you already have :)

If you want to go full-on makeover, you could also get a new wardrobe from Ikea (Facebook marketplace/craigslist should have too). I would still suggest mounting the TV so that you can take full advantage of all of the wardrobe space — most wardrobes have some built-ins, so you could organize your shoes, sweaters, & folded items.

• SNandez
    SNandez Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

Thanks for mentioning this app/program!! I'm gonna try it out!

• Gumbygirl
    Gumbygirl Posts: 3

I would ditch the shoe rack next to the hanging rack- your shoes can live under that. Add a dresser where the shoe rack was like the one you have on the left side. It would look more balanced and give you extra storage. It looks like you have plenty of clearance under the bed, get a couple of those flat underbed storage containers with wheels for off season clothes.

• May
    May Posts: 1

I’d get two freestanding metal hanger with wheels to hang outfits I regularly wear on either side with slanted ceilings. Under bed storage is a great too. Using multiple tiered hangers also helps with storage.

• Cheri
    Cheri Posts: 19

I love your delft blue coverlet… Have you thought of a platform bed that lifts with storage underneath?