Clever storage tips

karin1107
karin1107 Posts: 1
edited July 28 in Organizing

I moved out of a house & only took cherished items. I have a cluttered living space & need storage ideas!

Karin

Comments

• SNandez
    SNandez Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

Are you into antique/vintage furniture or more modern/sleek design?

• CullenOrmond
    CullenOrmond Posts: 149

Expert

hi @karin1107! congratulations on the move. would it be possible to see photos of your space? if you took cherished items, I feel like they need to be on display! I feel like wall mounted shelving is always a great storage solution that allows you to display sentimental pieces.

• CharliPenn
    CharliPenn Posts: 57

Expert

@karin1107 Congrats on the big move. I'm a huge fan of multi-purpose storage furniture, especially when you have a lot of stuff and very little space. Have you considered using storage ottomans as coffee tables and/or storage benches? Baskets are another great way to add style and storage to a new space. In all of these cases, the selection is endless. Here's a great roundup of narrow cabinets for small space storage you can check out too.

• my727
    my727 Posts: 20

I too, live on a 'space budget'. Thinning possessions helps, however, it sounds as if you HAVE done that. I agree, your precious things could be on display, perhaps rotating them from season to season, if you have a lot of 'cherished items' so as to reduce visual clutter. Perhaps you could store the 'not currently on display' items in boxes on closet shelves or in bins in cube drawers. Set a buzzer in your phone when it is time to rotate your cherished items.
    Or, if you DO want to display "all" of your cherished items all at once, perhaps study up arrangements of wall shelves that appeal to you, actually saving the photos you admire and try to recreate that type of look for Your items, either dedicating one wall for all the items, or sprinkling the items a few at a time from room to room. Wall space over doors can be used for shelves, too, so long as you have no door-slammers in your home.

Perhaps, grouping the cherished items by color, from one room to the next, might be helpful in reducing visual clutter..

I do not think I own any items which do not do double duty as also a storage place…
    I am huge fan of shower poles,
    that extend and fit everywhere. I have one across my laundry room, I have an extra one in every closet. I have one over the tub in the center up high, for drip dry clothes, but I guess that is not exactly "storage" ideas.
    I own about a dozen or more of zipper shut blanket storage bags,
    and use those for off season clothes, beach towels, sheets, my additional quilts, just everything. I use the kind with windows to see into the bag. I place these under my bed and along the edges of my closets. I have a row stuffed down between sofa and wall.
    I also use the back of
    almost Every door

in my home as a storage place, usually by hanging over-the-door storage hooks from them, and sometimes I will tie yet a 2nd, 3rd and 4th row of hooks to the original over=the-door hook, so the rows cascade down the door. Great place for purses, the one on front door holds dog leashes and umbrellas. I have an over-the-door row of hooks on bedroom closet door for robes. Another door with an over-the-door mirror on it holds all my necklaces on hooks.
    Inside my closet, I hung some hangers with multiple hooks originally intended for belts but I hang my nities on those. I have an over the door shoe organizer on closet door. Okay, I had two of those, and realized that is too many shoes for my current age, and recently gave half my shoes away.
    I use pan organizers in the kitchen, and I keep my spices in kitchen drawers so I can see them all at once, which I think is so clever and easy and I wonder why it is not more commonly done. I have one drawer for cooking spices (taco spice, curry) and another drawer for baking spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, etc).

• kawthar2566
    kawthar2566 Posts: 1

Hey there ! 

Congratulations on your new lil living space ! For storage ideas, you might wanna try under bed storage actually. I’ve read this article on how to make the most out of an under bed storage place and it sounds like a very good deal : out of season clothes, items you don’t usually use, there are a ton of things you can fit in there; just gotta make sure you keep it tidy ! 

On the same note, another trick for clothes and things you don’t necessarily want to display, you could fill in a luggage to make the most out of it when you’re not using it too! 

Oh and if there are any of your cherished items you’d want to display –  I recommend floating shelves that you could style to display them and free up surface space just like done here

Hope this helps !