Designer Anita Yokota Answers All Your Decorating Questions!

HomeTherapyAY
HomeTherapyAY Posts: 17
edited July 27 in Design Questions

Hi! It’s Anita Yokota, licensed family and marriage therapist turned interior designer and the author of the top-selling book, HOME THERAPY. I'm ready to chat about all things design, wellness, decorating, and renovating. Drop your questions here! I'll be answering them live from 3 to 4 pm ET on Tuesday, July 30.

Comments

• ConfusedAtBest
    ConfusedAtBest Posts: 2

Hi Anita! Where can I buy your book?

• ConfusedAtBest
    ConfusedAtBest Posts: 2

As someone who struggles with mental health illnesses, what are some easy ways to decorate a 3 bedroom apartment? 2 bedrooms are for our kids, little girl, young boy.

• DanielaAraya
    DanielaAraya Posts: 304

Hi Anita! I love your background and how it led you to interior design. Do you have a tried-and-true design process? What can a client expect when they reach out to you? I'm so curious how you specifically weave your skillset as a therapist into the interior design process

• RachelleJaneczek
    RachelleJaneczek Posts: 5

Hi Anita! Can't wait to read all your responses. ☺️ I'd love to know from your book, what are your top 3 takeaways for increasing happiness and creating a calm home?

• SNandez
    SNandez Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

If you're stuck on a space, and just hate the way you feel when you walk into it, what would you suggest as the first step to starting changing it up?

• Rachel
    Rachel Posts: 15 ✭✭

what's one design trend or trick you can't get enough of lately?

• sam_o
    sam_o Posts: 50

Community Manager

Where are your favorite places to shop for home decor? Your style is so beautiful!

• Danirenee
    Danirenee Posts: 1

Hello! Looking for style advice to make our entryway feel welcoming and make our guests feel comfortable. What do you suggest?

• Tanyachandra2011
    Tanyachandra2011 Posts: 1

hi, I have a problem with a 26x14 feet great room adjacent to an open kitchen in a townhome. Due to the number of doorways and walkways needed, it is hard to design the space in a way that allows the dining space to be next to the kitchen as we spend most of our time in the living space. Currently I am thinking of putting the dining space right after the main entrance, followed by the living space which would be next to the kitchen (to avoid having a very narrow living space) I would appreciate any insights you have to offer and have attached some photos of the previous owners’ furniture arrangement and the floor plan

TYIA

• Banana
    Banana Posts: 1
    edited July 30

Hi Anita,

I'm thinking to redecorate my kitchen and wondering what colour may look nice on the wall. I'm planing to add little shelves. Here are some pictures of the kitchen now.

Thank you so much 🙏 😊

Hannah

• Brigid
    Brigid Posts: 5

Hi Anita! I'm excited you are here!

• KelseyBelford
    KelseyBelford Posts: 1

What's your advice for someone who works in an interior design-adjacent industry that looks at perfect houses all day long and comes home to feel slightly anxious about their not-so-perfect house? How can I learn to appreciate my home more and make small tweaks that lead to a big impact?

• HomeTherapyAY
    edited July 30

Hi there! Thank you so much for asking! Here is a link, however you can buy it anywhere books are sold! Enjoy!

https://www.amazon.com/Home-Therapy-Increasing-Happiness-Confidence/dp/0593233239

• DanielleBlundell
    DanielleBlundell Posts: 61

Expert

edited July 30

What's the one decorating rule you almost aways want to break?

• HomeTherapyAY
    edited July 30

Decorating a 3-bedroom apartment in a way that supports mental health while being practical and appealing for a family can be very rewarding. Here are some easy and thoughtful ways to decorate:

General Tips for the Whole Apartment

• Bring in that Natural Light and Fresh Air
    • Declutter: Keep spaces tidy and organized. A clutter-free environment can significantly reduce stress and anxiety.
    • Houseplants: Incorporate houseplants, which can improve air quality and add a touch of nature, contributing to a calming atmosphere.
    • Comfortable Seating- round curved sofas are inviting!
      • My fav for families are Multi-Functional Furniture  that doubles as storage to keep the area organized.
    • Utilize Common Areas to have FUN and Connect!
    • Shared Spaces: Create shared spaces where the family can spend quality FACE time together, like a reading nook or a small game area.
    • Art and Crafts Coffee table: Dedicate a storage area for art and crafts, encouraging creativity and family bonding.
    • Bonus Tip: Routine and Structure are essential for kids.  Incorporate elements that support routine and structure, like a family calendar or a chore chart. You can DIY something together.

• HomeTherapyAY
    edited July 30

Oh how I love this question! Thanks for asking. My design process begins with an in-depth consultation and an intake form much like when you begin therapy! I strive to understand my client's lifestyle, needs, and goals, emphasizing how they use their space and any emotional or psychological needs they have. I develop detailed design plans, incorporating therapeutic elements like calming colors, natural materials, and spaces for relaxation. Throughout the implementation, I keep clients involved, ensuring their vision is realized. Clients can expect a collaborative and personalized approach, where their input is valued, and their well-being is prioritized. Integrating my background in therapy, I create spaces that are not only beautiful but also nurturing and supportive of mental and emotional health.

• HomeTherapyAY

Oh wow! I have so many favorites but if I had to pick top 3, here they are: 1) Ski Slope method to organize and de-clutter nearly any surface or room in one day but I have a psychological trick to help you make it in snack size bites. 2) Holding box to help determine when to really toss or save something you feel ambivalent about. 3) Intention Tray is the prettiest way to decorate and visually cue yourself to establishing good habits.

• LizzyFrancis
    LizzyFrancis Posts: 54

Expert

Hi Anita! What's the one space you see people struggle the most with when it comes to decorating/designing/living in their own spaces?

• JadaWong
    JadaWong Posts: 2

Hi Anita! I recently painted my double French doors black, but there are two windows that are the same size next to the doors with white trim — should everything be black, or do you think it's okay to have both colors?

• HomeTherapyAY

Hi Lizzy! The interesting part of your question is that the spaces you mentioned have already come up in the thread today. I’d say people often struggle with entryways, like Dani’s situation, or living room-dining room combos, such as Tanya’s right off the main entrance. These areas are challenging because they need to be both functional and welcoming, setting the tone for the rest of the home while balancing practicality and style. I know, it ain't easy! But definitely doable. You can head back up the thread to find my ideas!

• HomeTherapyAY

Danielle, I love breaking away from the room functions dictated by the builder! Who says the living room/dining room combo has to stay that way? I’ve helped clients transform rooms into a teenager hangout with a pool table instead of a dining room. I also enjoy creating storage in unexpected places to improve organization. For example, I’ve converted a 1980s wet bar off the garage entrance into a functional "mudroom" with ample space for shoes, jackets, and bags, complete with plenty of hooks for an efficient drop zone. This is why I love doing what I do!

• HomeTherapyAY

Hi Jada! Painting your double French doors black sounds like a stunning choice. While having both black doors and white trim on the adjacent windows can create a striking contrast, I personally prefer the cohesive look of having everything in black. It can unify the elements and give your space a more polished and intentional feel. Ultimately, it depends on the style and feel you want for your space!

• HomeTherapyAY

Hi Tanya! Thank you for sharing your floor plan and photos. I understand the challenge of designing a 26x14 feet great room, which I often refer to as a "bowling alley room" due to its long rectangular shape. I personally have faced similar issues in my own home.

I would recommend placing the dining area closer to the kitchen to make meal service more convenient and encourage an easy flow when entertaining guests. Putting the dining space near the entrance might make the room feel disjointed and less functional.

For the living room, consider adding more cabinets along the blank wall to help define the space and create a balanced look. Installing a bank of lower cabinets with the TV mounted above will ground the space visually and provide additional storage. I've found that designing these rooms with more intention leads to better use and a more functional, enjoyable space for clients. Good luck!

• HomeTherapyAY

Hi Dani! Your front door and sidelite are very pretty, letting in the natural light. I would suggest the following: 1) Add a skinny console table on the side wall with a mirror and some decor, including organization for keys and mail. Alternatively, adding a decorative bench with baskets underneath for shoes and clutter is functional. 2) Incorporate a small rug to define the space and add warmth. 3) Hang some hooks for coats and bags to keep things tidy. And 4th) adding architectural details such as wainscoting with hooks and a beautiful wallpaper really shows guests the homeowner's style and personality as they enter the home.

• HomeTherapyAY

Danielle, I love breaking away from the room functions dictated by the builder! Who says the living room/dining room combo has to stay that way? I’ve helped clients transform rooms into a teenager hangout with a pool table instead of a dining room. I also enjoy creating storage in unexpected places to improve organization. For example, I’ve converted a 1980s wet bar off the garage entrance into a functional "mudroom" with ample space for shoes, jackets, and bags, complete with plenty of hooks for an efficient drop zone. This is why I love doing what I do!

• HomeTherapyAY

Hi Brigid! I am so excited to be here with YOU! Any questions for me?

• HomeTherapyAY

Hi Banana, what a cute kitchen of yours! I recommend checking out my blog post on my favorite paint colors for some inspiration.

https://anitayokota.com/my-favorite-sherwin-williams-paint-colors/

One of my top picks is Sherwin Williams Underseas, a beautiful blue-green shade. It’s refreshing and brings a bright energy to the space, perfect for creating a pleasant atmosphere while prepping food. Plus, it’s not overstimulating, so it keeps the environment calm and inviting. Adding little shelves will also provide a great opportunity to showcase some decor or kitchen essentials. Happy Painting!

• HomeTherapyAY

Hi Kelsey, I totally understand! Seeing perfect homes all day can make it tough to appreciate your own space. Here’s how I recommend ways you can shift your mindset and make the most of your home:

• Embrace a Growth Mindset: View your home as a work in PROGRESS and focus on small improvements.
    • Set Realistic Goals: Tackle manageable changes, like updating lighting or reorganizing a room.
    • Prioritize Comfort: Aim for functionality and comfort over perfection.
    • Curate Your Space: Add personal touches and items that bring you DELIGHT.
    • Practice Self-Compassion: Remember, no home is perfect. Celebrate the progress YOU make!

This way, you’ll appreciate your home more and see how small tweaks can lead to big changes. You got this!

• HomeTherapyAY

Hey SNandez, when you walk into a space and feel negative emotions, it's a powerful indicator that something needs to change. The first step is to identify the specific elements that trigger these feelings. Is it the color, the clutter, the lighting, or the layout? Once you've pinpointed the problem areas, start with one small change. For instance, decluttering the space can instantly make it feel more open and calming. Next, consider the color scheme; using lighter, more soothing colors can transform the atmosphere. Small changes can have a big impact, and tuning into your feelings can guide you toward creating a space that feels good to be in.

• HomeTherapyAY

Hi Rachel! One design trend I can't get enough of is color drenching. I am a highly visual person—no surprise! So the thought of adding energy into a room where I want to make a statement excites me. By enveloping the entire space in a cohesive color, you create an immersive and dynamic environment that truly stands out. Would you try it?

• HomeTherapyAY

Hi Sam! Thank you for your kind words. My fav stores for furnishings, decor and lighting are Rejuvenation, West Elm, Lulu and Georgia, and Serena and Lily with a dash of thrifting vintage pieces. For renovating dupes, Amazon has great options for cabinet hardware and finishes. These stores encapsulate the clean lines, rich textures, and architectural details that I savor as a designer.

• NikiCreatives
    NikiCreatives Posts: 45

Hi Anita! Is gray really a boring and dull color and we should try to avoid using it?