Bookshelves & Wainscoting

Hi, there — I am looking to get new bookshelves and have library wall in my office, but I have this beautiful wainscoting on the walls that I don't really want to cover. How should I style this appropriately that still highlights the wall molding and gives me ample bookshelf space?

Comments

• LizzyFrancis
    LizzyFrancis Posts: 54

Expert

edited July 12

Hi @ireneiscrafty! Is there any chance we could get a photo of the walls/or more description to see what the walls look like and what style of wainscoting you have?

This article might give you some inspo: https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/wainscoting-the-architectural-detail-that-makes-a-room-252004

In particular, the two-tone trim photo shows off a way to put some floating shelves above the wainscoting (if yours goes only partway up the wall) if you don't want to cover it at all! I'd love to hear what everyone else thinks, too.

• ireneiscrafty
    ireneiscrafty Posts: 3

Yes picture attached. I guess mine is more wall moldings than wainscoting. I'm wanting to do an upgrade to my office space and would love like the full length of the wall to be bookshelves with a little reading nook where the armchair is.

• LizzyFrancis
    LizzyFrancis Posts: 54

Expert

I totally see what you mean @ireneiscrafty — I have similar wall-trim in my apartment and covering it feels like such a shame. We have a big piece of furniture against one of our walls designed like this — it's a vintage side board with a hutch, so it's a little architectural, and you can see the trim behind it.

So I have two thoughts — you could get floating shelves that live within the confines of the trim (and arrange them in a fun/funky way) — or you could get something like our side board, which is made up of a lot of negative space, so it covers as little of the wall as possible. But I'd love to hear what others think…

• MaxwellAT
    MaxwellAT Posts: 52

Expert

@ireneiscrafty this is a TOUGH one and I think @LizzyFrancis has a good idea, but you won't get as much storage that way.

Another approach is to use ELFA shelving that will be very minimal, attach to the wall where there is no molding and allow you to see through the shelves and books to your molding. Modern Shelving also makes a nice version - pic below…

You could also assemble a few leaning bookcases that could work across your wall! The pics below i grabbed quickly from Amazon and Target, but there are many kinds..

• ireneiscrafty
    ireneiscrafty Posts: 3

These are great ideas. I love a ladder shelf. Do you feel like these Ikea shelves might be a good fit?

• DanielaAraya
    DanielaAraya Posts: 317

I love @LizzyFrancis' idea of installing floating shelves within the trim! Any bookshelf will cover your molding a little bit, so if you want to create a full library look while still showcasing all the molding details, I would do shelves inside. You could also install one super long wall-to-wall floating shelf above your trim (like close to the ceiling) if you need more storage

• CullenOrmond
    CullenOrmond Posts: 149

Expert

@ireneiscrafty your home is so stunning! I checked out those IKEA shelves you shared and think those would be awesome in the space. you'll have a way to display all of your books without hiding the wall detailing! I'd love to see the room once you've added shelving. :)