What easy DIYs should I do to my kitchen

TerriPous
TerriPous Posts: 31

Expert

edited July 2 in Design Questions

OK, I have a teeny tiny kitchen (spot the mini fridge!). The cabinets don't close, the floor tiles are loose…. there's a lot I want to do! What easy DIYs would you suggest to make an instant difference? I'd love for it to be light, bright, and even a little bit more modern haha

Comments

• TerriPous

Expert

@DanielaAraya long shelves would make a HUGE difference!!! i really want to paint too, i think a whiter color would help (the current one has yellow undertones)

• CullenOrmond
    CullenOrmond Posts: 149

Expert

Hi @TerriPous! I feel you on the small kitchen. Have you thought about trying peel-and-stick contact paper on your cabinets? Or even swapping out the hardware for something more vibrant?

• AdrienneBreaux
    AdrienneBreaux Posts: 70

Expert

Okay so I would go for either a lighter color rug or peel-and-stick tiles that are a light color. This is nuts, but what if you added peel and stick mirror tiles as a "backsplash" above the sink area to reflect and maximize the little light you have in there. I do think decluttering the area could help! Is there anywhere else in your home you can store your mixer and other things you don't use every day? I also think that you could add some small shelves (these don't have to even be drilled). I do think there are opportunities to add under cabinet storage for some of the small things above the sink. And why exactly don't the drawers and door close? You might try rubbing a bar of soap/a candle along the drawers to see if that helps them slide in better.

• SarahEverett
    SarahEverett Posts: 51

Expert

@TerriPous i agree with @CullenOrmond! i think peel-and-stick is your friend here. my suggestions:
    1. backsplash tile
    2. contact paper for your cabinets
    3. slightly smaller rug of your choice (i love the floors in this kitchen and i think you should show them off!)
    4. i'm also trying to brainstorm what could go on that little skinny wall above the knife block. maybe something like this?

• TerriPous

Expert

@CullenOrmond love both of those ideas!!

• TerriPous

Expert

@SarahEverett i absolutely need to do backsplash tile (and maybe peel and stick for my floor too?). and that bookcase is such a smart idea!!

• LizzyFrancis
    LizzyFrancis Posts: 54

Expert

Have you considered getting a magnetic knife block? That way you can get rid of the knife block you have (I think they're not great for knives, but I bet a magnetic knife block isn't either, lol) and free up some counter space. I also see a little bar cart in the works…

We use stick-and-peel track lighting from Amazon underneath or cabinets - it's not the fanciest but it provides more diffuse, brighter lights (I hate overhead lighting as a rule basically.) Something like this might brighten it up, especially if you get warm white lighting! https://www.amazon.com/Flexible-480LEDs-Bedroom-Kitchen-Decoration/dp/B09W5J763J/ref%3Dasc_df_B09W5J763J/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=693467896754&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5118575370363678370&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9067609&hvtargid=pla-1652448526509&psc=1&mcid=bee3f851d825323c8af6541dacad6f5d&gad_source=1

• MaxwellAT
    MaxwellAT Posts: 52

Expert

@TerriPous I second adding a lighting under your cabinets.. it's affordable, easy to do and will make a huge difference in terms of brightening up the very small room.

The peel and stick idea from @LizzyFrancis is great.. I have these as well and they work nicely: Rechargeable Undercabinet Lights… they last a long time..

• lydia_h
    lydia_h Posts: 5

I'm also in favor of making more use of the vertical space by your window with some shelving or hooks - maybe shelving for your spices and condiments?

Are the hinges of your cabinets adjustable? It might be easy to adjust them so they close!

• Amber
    Amber Posts: 8
    edited June 19

I can picture some short (read- not wide) shelves NEXT to the window, maybe on either or both sides? I can see stacking 3 or 4 say, 5 inch wide shelves in that space next to the window, to give several small spaces to stash just about anything, like those condiments on your microwave. (Edited to add that hooks could hang in front of the window too, for anything- pots, plants…)

I also agree with utilizing the wall space above the sink and stove.... I hung a cute towel rack in an older kitchen with hooks and stored my pots and pans there.... A magnetic knife rack also hanging above the stove may help too!

The lighting makes it difficult to tell the wall color, but I think some cooler lighting will make a difference... And I'd love to see that checkered floor!

Lastly, I personally don't want to paint cabinets, but something peel and stick on the centers of the cabinet doors would brighten things up, I think.

• Jon
    Jon Posts: 3
    edited June 19

Sorry to spoil the fun but I think no matter what you do, or how much you spent on the kitchen it is not big enough for everything you have. I would think about how and what you cook and do you need so much stuff. Knife blocks often have knives you don't need and is space being used efficiently in the cupboards and drawers. I am not one for minimalist aesthetics but some of the concepts are worth adopting when one is living in small spaces. An organised and decluttered kitchen will look a thousand times better than peel and stick will ever give you. I think it could look really great once done!

• I love your little kitchen 😊 I would do the following:

Paint the walls and add a peel-and-stick backsplash and floor.

Install skinny shelves above the stove for oils and spices.

Hang some pots and pans on the skinny wall next to the window.

Hang coffee mugs from cup hooks underneath the cabinets and move the paper towels inside the sink cabinet door.

Find another place for the KitchenAid mixer.

Add a magnetic door clasp to the cabinet doors that won't stay closed.

Maybe cover the refrigerator with some fun peel-and-stick wallpaper.

• CharliPenn
    CharliPenn Posts: 57

Expert

Tripling down on under the cabinet lighting, just avoid bright white and opt for soft white to complement the wooden cabinets.

• TerriPous

Expert

@Jon you make a great point – i definitely need to declutter first and then decide what other changes should be made!

• losfrangeles
    losfrangeles Posts: 62 ✭✭✭

Is there a space just outside your kitchen where a cart or cupboard would fit? I used to store “overflow” kitchenware in my buffet cabinet, which was just outside the kitchen in the dining nook.

And I’ll second the need for a lighter color. White paint may be boring, but it can make a tiny space look much bigger.

• kwilks67
    kwilks67 Posts: 6
    edited July 11

I love the idea of long shelving over the stove and sink! For spices I personally am SO glad I got this magnetic shelf that goes over your stove. No drilling and makes use of space that would 100% have been unused otherwise: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09B1FM9VT/ref%3Dppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Maybe you can use the long shelves to store pretty glassware or anything like that that would be nice to have handy? (I sometimes store glassware upside down if I'm worried about dust or other things getting in).

It looks like you have a toaster oven hanging already in the space? I think that's what it is - can you go without the microwave if you use that? Might free up LOTS of counter space if so!

Love the idea of using that space next to the window for short little shelves OR been loving the look of some tiered hanging fruit baskets like the one below. You know your cooking process best, so depends which storage you need most!
    https://www.worldmarket.com/p/natural-rattan-2-tier-hanging-basket-607081.html

• Nicky910
    Nicky910 Posts: 1
    edited July 24

Hi @TerriPous! You can try to add peel and stick wallpaper on your cabinets just in the middle part since it’s shaker style cabinets. This will give it an immediate facelift and you can always remove it easily. I would go with something light coloured with a subtle pattern like these from Amazon and they are fairly inexpensive - https://a.co/d/4MJhX9W or https://a.co/d/2naYyMJ or https://a.co/d/3sg8VZY. You can paint your kitchen walls - I would paint it a warm white so it makes it brighter and add a peel and stick backsplash, although I am not sure of the durability of these. Lastly if possible, I would put the microwave on a shelf in the same spot you have it now, so it’s not taking up counter space. You’ll be surprised how this will make your kitchen feel roomy. Hope this helps!

• KLoEditor
    KLoEditor Posts: 2

Fairly easy inexpensive fixes for the things you mentioned. Loose floor tiles could be removed and replaced with peel and stick tiles from any store that carries different patterns. I would go for a faux marble tile, white with grey veins. Or you can glue the loose ones down and stick tiles over the whole floor or paint the tiles. Cabinet doors that don't close, if they can't be repaired, there is a product made especially for this problem, think it's called monkey magnets?, they are slim magnets you attach to any doors or drawers that won't stay closed. Paint your kitchen glossy white including the cabinets and countertops, add new hardware to the cabinets and drawers, I'd suggest silver filigree. Add shelves on the stove wall and beside the sink, put your dishes and glasses on the shelves, which frees up room to put that other stuff away. Dry and put away dishes, or buy a pretty dish drainer that sits inside the sink. Color and style would come in from the dishes you buy, the curtains, plus any artwork. A lamp, a plant and you're done.

• plum62
    plum62 Posts: 1

my ideas: 1) remove some cabinet doors and hang a pretty little curtain in front, (use small tension rod to hang it from); 2) move stepladder out of kitchen if possible and get a narrow rack on wheels for spices to go in that space; 3) I think they make an under-cabinet shelf for microwaves, so maybe look into that; 4) I love white cabinets, but you could paint them any color; maybe something bright and cheerful?; 5) If cabinets are white, paint the walls a color (or stick with all white since it makes spaces look bigger). Also, can you post an after pic? Would love to see it!