Seeking COMFY sofa recs that can withstand kids + dogs

hoopesk
hoopesk Posts: 1
edited July 2 in Design Questions

do you have one that you love? tell me about it! i'm open to all ideas. removable covers for easy washing? tough leather to resist stains and scratches? super-tech fabric that repels spills and stains? ideally looking for a big comfy sectional, but again open to anything.

Comments

• pattycatalano
    pattycatalano Posts: 4

Oh! I'm in the market for this same thing. Costco has some good-looking leather sectionals online, but am hesitant because I haven't sat in them before. Looking forward to seeing what recommendations you get!

• MaxwellAT
    MaxwellAT Posts: 52

Expert

edited May 30

So many companies today make pet friendly fabrics and they typically are based in a kind of microfiber… BUT look no further than our sofa at Interior Define that comes in 90 "performance" fabrics that are guaranteed to be stain-resistant, kid and pet-friendly, and liquid-resistant… so lots of choices here! and I would say fabric is nicer than leather in a home in general.. much warmer…

Also, this is a helpful post on AT … The Best Couch Materials for Dogs

• DanielaAraya
    DanielaAraya Posts: 304

I love my sectional! It's the Mello sofa from Article. I've had it for years. It has seen it all and is in pretty good condition. My dog was inevitably able to get some minor scratch marks on it (Basset Hound paws are tough 😅), and I'm considering a sofa cover from Comfort Works. I tested out the fabric, and it's completely stain-resistant and kid/pet-friendly. Maybe something to consider if you have a sofa you like but aren't set on the material!

• CharliPenn
    CharliPenn Posts: 57

Expert

I will be stalking this thread for recommendations. I've never found a pet-friendly couch that's truly comfortable or large enough to lounge on! Saving this thread ASAP! (Also going to peruse some of the recs we've already shared on the site. First person recs are my favorite.)

• SofiaRivera
    SofiaRivera Posts: 14

Expert

I'm also saving this thread, as a new pet owner!! I don't own this one but love this story about the Floyd sectional, which the writer says is "cat-proof"!

• Midlifeswag
    Midlifeswag Posts: 1

We bought the Ektorp sofa from IKEA as a “temporary” one while my kids were small. They are 25 & 27 and the sofa is still going strong! Love the washable slipcovers and it’s actually constructed well.

• LizzyFrancis
    LizzyFrancis Posts: 54

Expert

If you're willing to shell out some extra $$ we got this sectional from Joybird that is sooo comfy & deep and holds up to all the dog digging: https://joybird.com/sectionals/lewis-sectional/?fabric=essence-ash plus there are so many different fabrics (and performance fabrics) and Joybird is always running a sale

• NPalumbo
    NPalumbo Posts: 4

It may not be super comfy, so it may not be of interest, but the leather on this futon from Costco was very durable and withstood several dogs and children over the years. The futon is relatively comfortable as a sleeper.

• MaxwellAT
    MaxwellAT Posts: 52

Expert

One of the first companies to really push into tough fabrics that resist pets and stains is CRYPTON. Their fabric is more expensive, but they sort of set the standard for the industry. You can see all the sofas at DWR that come with Crypton fabric here.

Lately it seems that a lot of companies promote their own "performance" fabric - aiming to be just as good. I'm embarrassed that I don't know which is really best right now. Anyone??

• StephanieNguyen
    StephanieNguyen Posts: 87

Expert

I got my sectional from Costco, but it's a non-leather one. The exact model isn't available but the brand is Thomasville: https://www.costco.com/sofas-sectionals.html?brand=thomasville&refine=%7C%7CBrand_attr-Thomasville . I still cover it with blankets/sheets for extra coziness and to avoid any dog messes, but overall, I like it!