Renter-friendly ideas for “hiding” chandelier?

My family is moving into a rental apartment abroad and this will be my 4-year-old son’s bedroom.

Any ideas of how to transform this chandelier into a more child’s bedroom-friendly piece without removing or replacing it?

Comments

• wendy6983
    wendy6983 Posts: 9

Remove the hanging beads if possible. Cover bulbs with the small lampshades made for this that have a metal wire that clips onto the bulb. I see many in second hand stores. Spray paint them if they are soiled.

• natalie8827
    natalie8827 Posts: 7
    edited October 9

I would tie origami animals or folded paper aeroplanes using something 'invisible' like fishing gut or something from the chandelier. I imagine having simple child-relevant items 'hovering' below the light will detract from it. No way to reduce it more without removing it I'd say. Good luck!

• Myk
    Myk Posts: 6

Not sure if painting is an option? If painting is not an option, remove the crystals and treat the lighting like a mobile. Hang figures of whatever your child likes on it, plastic dinosaurs, big colored blocks, plastic planets and spaceships, etc.

• CharliPenn
    CharliPenn Posts: 60

Expert

I agree with @natalie8827, if you can try to re-imagine it as more of a hanging mobile of sorts, by adding to it, hanging kid-friendly lightweight decor (paper, I imagine, and as she said, origami maybe.) This is certainly a tough one. Our go-to electrician has very reasonable rates for hanging and re-hanging lighting in case you just can't find a solution, maybe start there?