Maximizing small space on a budget

user7126593
user7126593 Posts: 1
edited October 12 in Design Questions

Hello, I just recently purchased my first investment apartment and was wondering if I could get any help with the layout. I only want to be putting in the kitchen so whoever rents it is able to bring in their own furniture. I am however still trying to utilize the space as best as I can. The current disposition doesn’t make sense to me because the kitchen is tiny and I feel like there is far more potential for it to be better. I did have a few ideas:

1. changing the bathroom door to a sliding one so there is more room in the entry hall
  2. rearranging the bathroom layout somehow
  3. getting completely rid of the door separating the hall and the living area and making it a walk through into the kitchen OR getting completely rid of the wall and connecting the hall with the living are (this wouldn’t help with making the kitchen bigger though)
  4. there was an idea of adding an island but I figured it would just make the space smaller

I am including:

1. the original layout
  2. another person’t layout after alterations (they are doing built in furniture for the whole apartment which I can’t afford but it is nice for inspiration)
  3. a visualization of a potential kitchen layout

Thank you so much for any input/ideas. I am doing this very last minute and need to call in all of the changes by the end of the week so if anyone could help asap, it would be greatly appreciated.

One last thing, I am looking for budget friendly solutions as I am trying to keep the cost as low as possible since it is my first apartment.

THANK YOU!!!

Comments

• AmritaThakkar
    AmritaThakkar Posts: 26

Expert

@user7126593 Hi! This layout is kinda hard to understand but your space saving ideas make a lot of sense. One thing I'd add is that the kitchen lacks counter space — a counter addition along the left wall would be helpful. A movable island or counter might also be an option.

In terms of space, removing the wall between the kitchen and the living area would make it an open concept kitchen, which, while not increasing the space, can certainly help it look bigger. Might be an option to consider!

• DanielleBlundell
    DanielleBlundell Posts: 70

Expert

Seconding what Amrita said about the counter space; have you thought about adding a rolling cart or small movable kitchen island? That'll allow you to keep the fridge and freezer as is!