DIY Design Tips for a Stunning Home

daisy1829
daisy1829 Posts: 2
edited September 19 in Design Questions

What are your favorite DIY projects or design tips for making a home more beautiful and functional?

Tagged:

Comments

• DanielaAraya
    DanielaAraya Posts: 388

Hi Daisy! I personally love adding something to the home serves dual purposes — ideally something that looks really good while actually solving a problem for you. In New York you can always use more storage, so that's the first example that came to mind: a shelving or storage DIY! I don't have much storage in my kitchen and had a lightbulb moment when I realized our non-functioning fireplace in the dining area became the default for anything that didn't have its own place. I ended up moving the books and other things out of there, organized bulkier kitchen items like an air fryer and extra pans, and added a tension rod and cafe curtains to cover up the mess. It's not everyone's style choice but I love it, and it keeps the things I need nearby without having them out in plain sight!

• NikiCreatives
    NikiCreatives Posts: 53

I always recommend using simple 3d tools before doing any renovation (minor major). It just makes everything easier.

I also recommend following the 60-30-10 rule for colors (no need to follow it 100% though).

• SNandez
    SNandez Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

Re-purposing antiques! I love the look of antique furniture, but also live in a modern world. Don't be afraid to drill holes in the back of old furniture for cables and things. And re-use vintage items for modern storage needs! Any cabinet can be great for shoes, storing season clothes, dishes, etc.

• daisy1829
    daisy1829 Posts: 2
    edited September 24

Hi Daniela Araya, I love your fireplace idea, it’s a great way to mix style and function! As a businesswoman working with maids in Dubai, I see how practical design can make a huge difference in keeping homes tidy and beautiful. Finding creative storage solutions is always a win