SMALL SPACE IN PARIS!

ClemenceK
ClemenceK Posts: 1
edited August 29 in Show & Tell

Since 2020, my husband and I have been living in Paris, France. We used to travel frequently, so we didn't have much information about housing in Paris. At the beginning of 2022, we started a project to purchase a small apartment for ourselves.

Renovation

Our apartment is located in northwest Paris. It's conveniently accessible to all other districts. Location was our top priority when choosing this place. We wanted to avoid a modern, fully furnished apartment. Instead, we sought the challenge of renovating an old Haussmannian-style apartment on an affordable budget with a professional team. The three-month project transformed the apartment from an F3 to an F2.5. My husband and I both needed a home office, so we converted the original kitchen into a small room we call "Bureau(office)" for our shared workspace. We removed one room to create an open space for the living room and an open-style kitchen.

Trends & Decoration

I'm not a big fan of trendy decor. As mentioned earlier, I need my home to reflect my personality and the city where I live. Decorating one's living space can be therapeutic—it makes me happy and recharges my energy. So, I took my time to carefully consider where to purchase items and which style would best suit our small apartment.

Sitting Room & Kitchen

I chose to keep the old mirror above the chimney, which was restored for use. Fireplaces are a rarity in central Paris apartments, but this one is definitely my "coup de cœur" in this open space.

The overall style is vintage Parisian. I sourced my vase, some carpets, and glassware from Etsy, La Redoute, and BHV. Most of the pictures and decorations come from vintage markets in the 14th arrondissement and Saint-Ouen.

There are also objects, like the statue, that remind me of happy travel experiences.

The largest painting, centered in the space, was purchased from Facebook Marketplace. The Panton-style chairs are from eBay, the Togo sofa is from LigneRoset, some tables are from Stooly, and the leather ottoman (banc) is from Selency's market. I also love plants for their positivity, so I've bought some from Amazon.

Hallway & Toilet

I'll highlight only the lamps, but the large lamp from LigneRoset is definitely the focal point of the hallway.

There's a window in the hallway, but the exterior view isn't particularly attractive, so I wanted something eye-catching. I chose this playful lamp for the center of the hallway, along with boot-shaped umbrella stands. A Parisian-style mirror hangs on the wall next to the entrance. The shoe rack from IKEA is quite modern and practical. The classic-style curtain at the main entrance adds some privacy.

The toilet is small. This part was very challenging to change, but we managed to include a place to wash hands. Previously, there was no sink in the toilet, so people had to go to the bathroom to wash their hands. The color scheme sticks to gold, yellowish-brown, and black/white.

Bedroom, Bureau & Bathroom

In France, we use the term "bureau" for a small room dedicated to work, which is often casually called "the office." Our former kitchen has been transformed into this compact workspace, and next to the bureau is our bedroom. As our apartment is in the Haussmannian style, we have beautiful decorative patterns on the ceiling, which we've preserved to maintain the room's original character. It was challenging to create a concept that balances style and functionality. We chose our bed set from Maison du Convertible. Family photographs and carefully selected artwork on the walls, creating a cozy ambiance in the bedroom. The bathroom, though small, is fully functional. The color scheme throughout these spaces adheres to gold, yellowish-brown, and black/white tones.

I have lived in more than three countries. My housing experience was always challenging. It was particularly difficult to make a new place feel like home. Now we have our new home and I still make small changes, but I'm now quite satisfied with how I've decorated the space!

Comments

• DanielaAraya
    DanielaAraya Posts: 304

Wow, what a beautiful story and space! I love seeing how homes transform and evolve with time. Your fireplace/mantel/mirror moment is what dreams are made of ❤️

• losfrangeles
    losfrangeles Posts: 60 ✭✭✭

So beautiful! I'd downsize if I could live in a Haussmannian apartment in Paris.

• CullenOrmond
    CullenOrmond Posts: 149

Expert

wow @ClemenceK your home is absolutely stunning! I loved reading about the transformation, too! your attention to detail and remaining true to your personal style is so incredible. (and the herringbone floors! i gasped. 😀)

• Phaedra
    Phaedra Posts: 3

Anything with herringbone floors is a fave. Seriously, love what you have done to make your small space feel comfortable.

• LizzyFrancis
    LizzyFrancis Posts: 54

Expert

Your floors are to die for! I also love the white cabinetry in the kitchen — it feels so modern, but still warm!

• Maggie
    Maggie Posts: 1

Hello, Clemence! We love your story! My name is Margaret Ferrec; I'm a video producer at Apartment Therapy. We're shooting some Paris tours at the end of the month and I'm wondering if you might be available and interested collaborating?!!?

If so, please email me at margaret.ferrec@apartmenttherapy.com

Cheers, Margaret

• Absolutely gorgeous.

• TerriPous
    TerriPous Posts: 31

Expert

I love your home SO MUCH!! So dreamy and cozy