Excessive Mirrors In My Home

rss212
rss212 Posts: 2
edited August 24 in Design Questions

Hi all! Every single closet in my apartment have sliding doors and they are all covered in mirrors. Every.Single.One. Ugh! Replacing them all is not in the budget unfortunately. I am currently redesigning my bedroom and would like to figure out a way to disguise the wall of mirrors opposite my bed. All the mirror doors are on tracks. Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• SofiaRivera
    SofiaRivera Posts: 14

Expert

Okay, I actually tend to love a mirrored closet door (this home tour with a bedroom that leans all the way into mirrored doors is SO cool). But! I totally understand not wanting mirrors everywhere you look. Opposite your bed, I wonder about hanging some sheer curtains in front of them? That way it's not too difficult to still get into the closet, and you'll still reap some of the light-bouncing benefits of the mirror without the full-out reflection.

• GrandmaLyn
    GrandmaLyn Posts: 1

I have clear glass doors on my 2 tall decor bookcases. I have ordered opaque design rolls that go on with water and a squeegee. They are removable and cut with sissors or an Acto knife. I'm planning to cover the bottom half of the doors for concealed storage without making it dark. Perhaps this would work for you by toning down the shiny mirrors..

• OliviaPerez
    OliviaPerez Posts: 13

I totally understand how overwhelming a wall of mirrors can be. Here are a few budget-friendly ideas to help you cover or disguise those mirrored sliding doors:

1. Contact Paper: Apply removable contact paper or peel-and-stick wallpaper directly onto the mirrors. There are lots of designs to choose from, so you can find something that fits your room’s style.
    2. Decorative Window Film: Use frosted or patterned window film to cover the mirrors. This will diffuse the reflection and add a touch of privacy while still letting in light.
    3. Tapestries or Fabric Panels: Hang a large tapestry or fabric panel over the mirrors. You can use adhesive hooks or a tension rod to make it easy to hang and remove.
    4. Gallery Wall: Create a gallery wall by hanging lightweight frames or art prints over the mirrors. Use adhesive strips that won’t damage the glass (my favorite idea)
    5. Folding Screen: Place a decorative folding screen in front of the mirrors. It’s an easy way to cover them and can also add a stylish touch to your room.

I hope one of these ideas helps you transform your space without breaking the bank hahah

• pollyallen7982
    pollyallen7982 Posts: 3

I completely agree with the contact paper. If you use the striped or rain pattern you can cut it into horizontal stripes of varying thicknesses. It breaks up the reflective image and is interesting. Or spray with window frost, solid or patterned w cutouts. When you need to leave it scrapes off easily with a razor blade. You can even use straight up paint, scrape when done. Lots of artwork possibilities, your own or masters.

• DanielaAraya
    DanielaAraya Posts: 304

I'm team contact paper! You could have a lot of fun with its look and feel. A room divider would be a good choice if you want something easier or moveable. I've used this one in my design projects before and love that you can change its shape/wiggle!

• MeganBakerDetloff
    MeganBakerDetloff Posts: 100

Expert

@rss212 I have the same problem in my home, though they're all bifold rather than sliding. But I also hate them 😂

The previous owners painted one set in our basement with beige paint, which I didn't realize until the paint began to flake off to reveal the mirror beneath. So paint is probably not the solution here!

I think what I'll do for mine is cover them in removable wallpaper or contact paper, like other posters suggested above. There are lots of fun designs available, but you could also go for something with a neutral faux-wood look if you want to go understated.

Good luck! If you try any projects, take before pics and let us know how it goes!!

• NikiCreatives
    NikiCreatives Posts: 45
    edited August 30

The only decent option that comes to mind is hanging something over those mirrors. Like everyday clothes or something similar you often use.

• Cheri
    Cheri Posts: 19

rattan is in right now. Panels, cut from a roll, aren't very heavy, and so could be attached with removable poster squares.