I'm looking for gardening tips for beginners. How do you know what to grow?

DanielaAraya
DanielaAraya Posts: 304
edited August 4 in Regions

Does anyone here pride themselves on having a green thumb? Can you share some beginner tips with someone (read: me 😅) who doesn't know where to start with gardening? I'm wondering how you know what to grow in different conditions. There's so much information online. Any tips are appreciated!

Comments

• my727
    my727 Posts: 20

I would recommend starting small. For real, when I first began gardening? I plowed over a huge huge garden, and I did not fully understand the amount of time involved in keeping such a large garden weed free, etc. I planted things too close together. I made a lot of mistakes at first, as we usually do.
    Here is my advice, is, start small. Figure out how big of a Garden you want? and cut that size in half! haha. Others may disagree.
    I would also study the area you are going to use at multiple times of day and from season to season, is it full sun? partial sun? Shady? morning sun only? and so on.
    What gardening zone are you in?
    Do you plan to plant flowers or veggies, or both? If going for flowers, be aware of difference between annuals and perennials.
    I guess there is a bit of investigation to be done to decide where to start, but, it is WORTH IT. It is 3D art like no other.
    Things I did wrong:
    I planted too many things than I was able to care for with my schedule. (Later, I used "hard scaping" to break it up a bit into more manageable areas)
    I planted things too close.
    I disregarded the effects of nearby pine trees on the soil I was working in.
    I never quite learned how to keep the deers and bunnies from eating my favorite veggies…. sigh.
    Things I did right:
    I planted herbs and plants we could eat, such as basil and tomatoes (both kinds, the kind of Indeterminate tomatoes that gives off fruit all season and the kind that gives up Allll it's fruit all at once at end of season)
    I planted hostas in the shade and divided them every spring into halves.
    I planted SPRING BULBS in the fall, which, to this day, are STILL my favorite flowers, a big surprise each spring, plant once and forget them. I created an entire orchestra of flowers upon flowers,
    which began with crocus in the snow and then daffodils and then tulips and then daylillies and iris, flowers nonstop, one kind after another, from late winter til mid summer.
    I mixed in annuals with the perennials.
    I got better as using hard scaping (bricks, stones, features) to help manage a Garden space.
    I got better at learning how best to water them all properly.

• my727
    edited August 4

oh, I just realized all that post I made, was from when I had a YARD,
    and this is Apartment Therapy,
    so you might be interested more in container gardening or patio gardening,
    and use BIG pots and the kind with drain holes, with matching saucers underneath for a better look. Getting those things that roll around is helpful for some patio gardens, to help them get the light as the season changes.

It is challenging to prevent the soil from all getting too compacted in planters,
    take long skewers and poke air holes through out dirt weekly, and add in some substance to soften up dirt, like compost, I've forgotten what I used, it looked like tiny white balls.
    and do place broken pottery or rocks in bottom of planters to help increase drainage.
    BASIL BASIL BASIL is my favorite easy plant. Basil can even grow indoors. PLus I love pesto..
    Citronella is beautiful And helps repell mosquitos.
    Parsley is also spectacularly good looking plant.
    Coleus is gorgeous reliable source of color.
    Sticking decorative candle spikes into large planters is so cute at night.
    A planter is 'supposed to' have a spikey or a tall plant, a frilly plant and a cascading plant all together.

• DanielaAraya

Ahhh thank you for sharing all of this info seriously! I need any and all the help I can get. I'm giggling at the recommendation of starting small because I definitely needed to hear that. I always want to go big or go home, and then I get overwhelmed and question everything.

So, I do have a yard with more space to play around in the garden. I'd like to start with flowers but eventually do herbs and veggies. I'm curious: Did you learn from trial and error, or was there a friend/website/somewhere you'd go to make sure you're doing things correctly? How forgiving are gardens? Like if you forget to water one day, is it game over? Or can you nurse it back to health? I'm worried about balancing out the care with my schedule. And then there is the factor of trying to keep animals away! There is a groundhog in the backyard that I've named Petunia who likes to come and munch on things.

• Jay
    Jay Posts: 2

You need a plant for each, a filler, a thriller and spiller for outdoor planted pots. 1 plant that's tall and eye-catching, the filler plant should fill all the soil on top and have the thriller (tall plant in middle) and then a trailing plant on the front or front and back that spills over the pot.

• LizzyFrancis
    LizzyFrancis Posts: 54

Expert

@DanielaAraya , I am a perma-beginner at gardening and my tip is to go with low-intervention plants that yield high rewards. I've been growing pepper plants and I actually buy them as seedlings from Burpee — rather than from seeds. It's a total shortcut but it has helped me cut my teeth a bit on gardening.

• my727
    edited August 9

I bought several gardening books, but my favorite go-to book
    was always:
    "Perennial All Stars: The 150 Best Perennials for Great-Looking, Trouble-Free Gardens Hardcover – February 15, 1998
    by Jeff Cox
    (Author)"
    and i learned a LOT from that book.
    I spent hours pouring over that book. It is so well written and so well organized, it is for sale on Amazon, too.
    I think I did look at that book almost every day, especially while first getting ideas. I did draw out a 'map' of sorts for my garden.

Which gardening zone are you in? IF you are in a gardening zone that is good for spring bulbs? I can not put into words how EASY and reliable BULBS are. (well,, most of the time,, but DO get good bulbs from good stores)
    You plant them in the fall,
    at the exact right depth (get a "bulb-spade" with a ruler on it)
    and sit back and wait for the joy of all that beauty in the spring. Your groundhog might enjoy them, and good luck on trying to protect the garden from critters, i'd give advice, but I never mastered that aspect of gardening. The above book does have a chapter on deer-proof plants.
    Do include crocus, the first of all flowers, popping in the snow even!! And you can not go wrong with daffodils. So many kinds of Daffy's now……..
    Tulips are often less hardy and many tulips will stop showing up and fade out after some years, and tulips have the drawback of having sloppy looking leaves laying about for a while after (you can't cut them off, that feeds the bulb to reappear next year)
    ………….. but the Daffy's and crocus will go on forever. and ever. and the crocus and daffodils are well out of the way by the time the weather is nice enough to go outside for gardening.
    Day lilies are super easy, too, and can spread out and flourish.
    Iris are lovely and have such pretty stems and leaves, and they love to be near cement of all things.
    as you can see, I am a HUGE fan of spring bulbs. Plant and forget.

Several small gardens might be easier for the beginner, as opposed to one large garden,
    put some small gardens front yard, and

some in back. I used matching fancy bricks to outline my gardens.
    start small and then, add to it year by year as you go along. KEEP US POSTED!! Maybe start a blog or a Facebook page for your friends and family to follow your progress.

• DanielaAraya

Filler, thriller, spiller. Easy enough to remember!🫡

• DanielaAraya

I'm all for a shortcut to help me get started here. Thanks for the tip, Lizzy!

• DanielaAraya

I'm learning so much already. Thank you for all the insight, @my727! I'm in the northeast (zone 6 I think), and from a quick Google search, it seems like I can do bulbs. Luckily for me, I think all the flowers you listed are gorgeous (especially daffodils!) so this sounds like a great start. That's also great to know about tulips. They are another favorite of mine but it sounds like there are a couple of things I should keep in mind if I plant them.

I love the idea of documenting the garden progress somehow. My family would really love that! You are really inspiring me, and fall is just around the corner so I'm glad my wheels are turning now. Getting in the "plant and forget" mindset 😅 thank you again!

• my727

But do consider getting that book, it has all sorts of "go together" ideas for all sorts of gardens (shade, full sun, partial shade, dry soil, damp soils, etc) Which plant to put in front and which to place as backdrop. He has garden ideas for people who sit out at night and people who sit out in the mornings. I guess he is into 'styling' up a garden, ha, same as A.T. is into styling up an apartment, I guess.
    It truly is the Best ever gardening book, mostly pictures, each two-page spread is about one (1) plant, with suggestions of other plants to place near it. Is not "reading" much, it is excellent book for those of us who don't yet know a lot about plants. Once you open that book? you will not be able to put it down.

• DanielaAraya

The book is in my cart right now! I will report back 😊

• Keofan
    Keofan Posts: 2

If you find yourself getting overwhelmed with information, try stopping by your County seat's Farm Office. The info is free. Also, Master Gardeners in your County are looking for volunteer ops to fulfill their obligations, and are always happy to help a fellow gardener. That is a good source of info and sometimes free plants!

• Keofan
    Keofan Posts: 2

• picotchi
    picotchi Posts: 1

I suggest looking at the sun/shade exposure and wind conditions. Also, consider the water needs and group like needs together with the sun/shade needs. When it come to herbs, I group pots for like needs, but MINT is very aggressive with roots that will take over, so sequester it in a container by itself. As you learn what will do best for your conditions, you will know what works best and what you like. Every year, I redo my balcony pots (had some with bulbs) with what I like and can find. I usually have 1 or 2 "test plants" to try. Good luck! You will figure it out.

• heyjudith
    heyjudith Posts: 13

There is a lot of good advice here. My first question would be: What flowers/plants/colors do you like? How large of a space will you be tending? The quality of the soil is everything; if your soil is bad, your plants will not thrive. Perhaps ask your neighbors about the soil quality of the area: Is it sandy? Is it rocky? Is it comprised primarily of clay? Try this experiment: dig a small hole in the ground, maybe 12" wide by 12" deep. Fill the hole with water. Observe how long it takes the water to drain away. This will tell you if you have a drainage problem. It will not hurt to amend your soil, regardless. Start with a small area and amend with a good, bagged garden soil (not potting soil.) Work that into the soil to loosen it up. Plant a few things that you really like. Water them in well. Depending on the temperature and precipitation, water as needed. Don't let them get totally dried out. To test, stick your finger into the soil a couple of inches; this will tell you if you need to water. As another poster said, perhaps start with a few containers (for these, you WILL use potting soil.) Gardening is the most soul-fulfilling activity in which you can participate. Read, observe, and experiment. Good luck to you.