What should I do with this awkward space?

TerriPous
TerriPous Posts: 31

Expert

My sister is moving into a new house! It has this awkward cutout in the corner of the living roo and we want to know what to do with it. Should we turn it into a bar corner? Convert it into a closet? Something else? Would love to hear what you think!

Tagged:

Comments

• Myk
    Myk Posts: 3

With the window there it might make a nice reading nook.

• OliviaPerez
    OliviaPerez Posts: 13

A charming reading or meditation corner accentuated by beautiful natural lighting

• Zephy
    Zephy Posts: 20

I'd say bookshelves up the wall nearly to the ceiling. The books or other things stored on the shelves would bring the wall "forward" so it wouldn't look so deep and shadowy. You could put a reading chair and lamp between the 2 windows nearby, and they'd be a little secluded from the rest of the LR but still part of it. Or some other kind of storage — an armoire? — that could come out to the edge of the window. Maybe a piece of furniture like a tall secretary with shelves above and a dropleaf desk and chair, so you could pay your bills there?

• jj123
    jj123 Posts: 4

Antique secretary's desk, book shelf, narrow seating under the window, wall art, paint just up to the door so it looks separate?

• CullenOrmond
    CullenOrmond Posts: 149

Expert

hi @TerriPous! what a fun space! I feel like a bar area would look fabulous here! it could even be a bar and library! would your sister be up for wallpapering/painting the nook a different pattern or color than the rest of the room?

• TerriPous

Expert

that was my first suggestion!!!! it seems so dreamy

• TerriPous

Expert

she totally would!! love the idea of making it a hybrid nook

• TerriPous

Expert

just sent her this pic and she's obsessed! the marble is so her!

• SNandez
    SNandez Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

I agree with bar corner. The perfect space for it!

• MollyAnn_24
    MollyAnn_24 Posts: 1

I like the bar and reading nook suggestions. How about a combination of both?

• DebR
    DebR Posts: 1

I think the answer depends on what that door right beside the space leads to. If it's a bathroom, I don't like the idea of a bar/drink station that close, but floor-to-ceiling bookshelves would be perfect. If it's a guest room, a reading nook would be lovely if one guest can't sleep or stays up later than their partner. If it were my house, I'd fill the corner with plants of various heights in interesting pots and let that window create a light-filled green space.

• Cheri
    Cheri Posts: 19

I love the bar idea mentioned above. I have a similarly awkward nook corner - at the top of the stairs and surrounded by a knee wall. It’s right outside the guest bedroom upstairs away from the kitchen or entertaining areas 😑. Unfortunately, not suitable, or big enough, for a cool bar setup - I tried bookshelves but it didn’t ’feel right’ and I was always a little annoyed by the space… until I found this family of Papier-mâché flamingoes. I met a previously unknown neighbor at the mailbox and he told me he was preparing to move out of state and was selling some items…. I saw these birds and decided I couldn’t live without them. Once I got them home I knew that awkward corner was their new home. Now they make me smile when I head downstairs… I only wish the awkward corner was downstairs where guests (not overnight) could see and enjoy them as much as I do… I look forward to an update to your post when you decide what you will do with your little corner.

• OliviaPerez
    OliviaPerez Posts: 13

now that you decided you like them in that corner, it seem like a total eclectic space (which is so cool) a small rug with an animal print texture can look very interesting (if you like that stuff)