Organizing Scarves and Purses

Trixie
Trixie Posts: 2
edited August 3 in Organizing

I have about 30 scarves, and I have tried many ways to store them. I don't like any of the ways. I bought one of those hangers that you can put scarves through little holes. I tied them to the rod in the closet. But then I never could find the scarf I wanted at the moment without feeling overwhelmed. I used to keep them in a drawer, but I no longer have two dressers, so I use all my drawers.

My purses I keep on the shelf in my closet, but even if I try to put them there neatly, it never looks good. I have about 12 purses.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• StephanieNguyen
    StephanieNguyen Posts: 87

Expert

Hi @Trixie ! I totally feel you on this. I like to visually see my purses and scarves instead of tucking them inside drawers.

If you're looking for hanging options — this one allows you to see rows of scarves at a glance: https://www.amazon.com/Organizer-Clutter-Removing-Scarves-Accessories/dp/B07V3G92PK/.

There's 28 rings, so it can hold majority of your collection, plus, it can used for other things like purse storage! Another purse storage option is our 2023 Organization Award-winning pick, which has clear pockets so you can easily see your selection: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085W1LBDL

Not sure what your space looks like, but I've also seen people use over-the-door organizers to hold purses and accessories or acrylic shelf dividers on top of closet shelves to separate purses and keep them on display. Hope this helps!

• CharliPenn
    CharliPenn Posts: 57

Expert

@Trixie Oh, yes, scarves and purses are tricky to store, especially when you have limited space. I too feel a little overwhelmed using specialty hangers – especially for belts and scarves. It's supposed to make sense but they often feel frustrating to use. For your purses, do you have some wall space to use in your bedroom or closet? I find using specialty hooks to hang hats and purses on little walls can be it's own form of decor that doubles as storage, and there are so many different types of hooks to choose from. You can also try this viral purse hanging storage trick that one of our editors tried recently — she loved it!

• DanielaAraya
    DanielaAraya Posts: 304

I have this purse organizer and I have to say, it's amazing!!! It stores so much without taking up a lot of space

• my727
    my727 Posts: 20
    edited August 3

I do love the scarf hangers with little holes BUT I have SO so many scarves,
    that I have TWO of these hangers.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JLH878A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One for warm colors and one for cooler colors. Makes it easier for me find the one I want when I divide them that way. I do not put any scarf on top of any other scarf, so all can be seen.
    OH yes, I agree, if if if if I tried to put them ALL onto just ONE scarf hanger? i would never see the one I want, either.
    Mine came with hanger hook at the top, no need to tie the hanger to the pole in closet..
    I love scarves, as in Florida, It is 98 degrees————-but when you enter restaurant or theater? it is freezing cold !!!!!!!
    yet, you are sure not going to be lugging around a sweater, ha!
    (I get so cold easily.) Scarves do the trick. I tie the scarf onto my purse or my belt sometimes to go back into the 90 heat again…..
    ………………… I can also use my less dressy scarves to sit upon on the hard outdoor chairs at most parks. .. I also use them as bathing suit coverups.
    AT MY OLD APARTMENT———-i did this, I strung a thin rope diagonally across the room and hung all my scarves on it, in color order. Yes, it was a bit maximalist, but it worked for that room back then.

• my727
    my727 Posts: 20
    edited August 3

For purses, I did this. I hung an over the door bar with 6 rounded hook on the backside of my bedroom door.
    From that set of 6 hooks, I took thin rope that matched my door and tied yet another identical over the door set of 6 hooks to it. See, I tied the 2nd set of hooks onto that first set of hooks.
    and so on. I think I bought 4 or 5 sets of hooks ……….. Almost alllllllllllll the way down the door. well, almost all the way down the door.
    Then, I placed my purses on all those hooks. Ta-da!!
    My daughter has an official purse holder that hangs on her closet bar, and swivels. It is a round thing, with purse sized openings for her to place each purse in. She got it on Amazon.

• Trixie
    Trixie Posts: 2

My727——These ideas you mentioned are ones I never thought of before. And two scarf hangers with holes, well, that's just genius! Dividing warm-weather scarves from cold weather on the hangers seems so easy, but I never thought of it.

I also am thinking that the purse hook idea might work for me too. I am going to try it.

All these ideas are great. Thank you.

• Zephy
    Zephy Posts: 20
    edited August 6

So many great ideas here!

I hang my main purses on hooks along with my coats, so I can pick them up easily when I get ready to go out. The others are stashed in a closet and hard to reach :( . I have my scarves in a drawer, so this won't help you, but I roll them up instead of folding (something I learned on AT!) and it works really well. You hold a scarf by a corner in one hand and wind the rest of the scarf around with the other, so it ends up in a coil. Put them all in a shallow drawer, and you can see them at a glance! And no fold lines.

• SNandez
    SNandez Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

For the purses, if you continue putting them on the shelf, have you tried shelf dividers? That way each bag has a dedicated space and they won't fall on top of one another.

For scarves, if a drawer is your only option have you considered underwear organizers? You can roll up each one, it has it's own space, and it's super clear and easy to see each one without them overlapping. And easy to put away.

Good luck!