Help with color for shutters

Koala2024
Koala2024 Posts: 3
edited July 14 in Design Questions

My 1991 home’s shutters desperately need a new color and paint job. I am leaning to some shade of green or dark blue. The siding color is tricky, it’s a beige with cool undertones.

I would love paint color suggestions! Thanks in advance

Comments

• DanielaAraya
    DanielaAraya Posts: 308

Love an outdoor paint job! What would you say the current color is right now? It looks like a muddied blue/gray but it's a little hard to tell in the photo. Is that accurate?

• Koala2024
    edited July 13

thank you @DanielaAraya! The current color is a dark gray but it’s terribly faded on the second level. It doesn’t go well with the brown roof. I’ve added some pics I have on my phone with some paint colors I was considering. None of them really spoke to me which is why I am here 😃

• JanisFantastic
    JanisFantastic Posts: 2

I think a rich maroon would look nice

• DanielaAraya
    DanielaAraya Posts: 308
    edited July 14

I agree with @JanisFantastic — a maroon or burgundy could provide a lovely contrast! If you're leaning towards a more natural look that blends with your surroundings, a beautiful shade of green could be a perfect fit. Here are some quick examples to give you a sense:

The top is Benjamin Moore's Classic Burgundy, and the bottom is Farrow & Ball's Beverly (you could always color match). I worry that anything navy wouldn't make as big an impact on you since you already have a blue-ish shutter to start, but I'm fully basing that on how I think I would feel in the situ!

Also, pro-tip! Before I painted my shutters and front door, we hired someone to powerwash our siding and it made such a difference! I'm still working with an off-white/grey color but the shutter and door colors popped way more

• Judyjudyjudy
    Judyjudyjudy Posts: 7

I do love the green, I don’t think you will be unhappy with it, any season. I would consider beefing up the pillars, our neighbours just did that - what a difference. The husband worded on it every day for a week, also doing a railing and privacy wall on one end of their raised porch Watching his wife come home from work every evening was like watching a live reveal, daily.

• Judyjudyjudy
    Judyjudyjudy Posts: 7

and I meant to add, then a lively front door cover - maybe the end.

• Koala2024

thank you for the images @JanisFantastic !

I don’t want to love the red but I think it is probably the best match. Seeing it is really helpful.
    agreed @Judyjudyjudy the front door is only factory primed and needs to shine!

• CullenOrmond
    CullenOrmond Posts: 149

Expert

@Koala2024 your home is absolutely gorgeous! I think a darker color would look timeless and add some visual intrigue. I love the following colors from Farrow & Ball: "Railings," "Calke Green," and "Grove Green." please share what you land on! I can't wait to see!

• cemay1
    cemay1 Posts: 6

if you change the shutter color, I recommend making the door color the same.