I need to see my stuff but it is too messy

nbm
nbm Posts: 1
edited August 29 in Decluttering Cure 2024

I have ADHD and find it much easier for me to see what is in my cabinets (clothes, pantry, toiletries) as opposed to putting them in drawers. I fold and stack my t-shirts, jeans, sweaters, etc., but it is unsightly and disorganized looking.

I also have a hard time keeping up with housekeeping tasks, no matter how hard I try.

Any suggestions??

Comments

• Bobbie47
    Bobbie47 Posts: 1

I’m the exact same way! I was diagnosed with ADD when I was 15, I am 47 now, so I have a lot of experience. Ha! I find it a lot easier to hang up all of my clothes. I do put shorts in drawers, but the rest of it goes on a hanger! It helped me so much.

• SNandez
    SNandez Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

What @TMC said - a place for everything is definitely step one. If you have something in your hand and you know exactly where it's supposed to go, you won't even have to think about it.

Have you considered arranging your items by color too? Whether you fold or hang clothes, even product bottles etc., maybe organizing by color will help your brain just match the color instead of trying to work out what specific items go where. Hope that makes sense and helps!

P.S. I don't necessarily mean rainbow, unless you have lots of color! For example, I literally only wear black, white and shades of grey. So my closet is organized by gradients white to black (left to right). And sub sections of Pants, shirts, dresses.

• Dnai_23
    Dnai_23 Posts: 2

I'm a professional organizer and I recently worked with a client whose 21-year-old son has ADHD. We decided to go with open-front, stackable bins for his clothes vs. a dresser. He loves it and has been able to easily maintain the system. We labeled the front of the bins with simple instructions like "black t's, work shirts, etc." This is not what we used- but just to give you an idea, here's a photo.

• SarahEverett
    SarahEverett Posts: 51

Expert

For office supplies/little notes and things, I love this organizer! https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/soesdala-memo-board-with-clips-black-80423388/

• Joaniegret
    Joaniegret Posts: 1

Thank you for creating this lovely site on home style & design! My first visit has offered me great ideas and solutions (!). It's great to share the passion we feel for the challenges & pleasures of our living environments 💕.

• DanielaAraya
    DanielaAraya Posts: 309

So glad you are enjoying it here, @Joaniegret! I love seeing everyone's shared passion for design and home living here too 💛

• Inky
    Inky Posts: 1

My husband has ADHD, and over the years we have created organizational systems for him that work pretty well.

The first tip (that others have mentioned as well) is labeling. Keeping clothing organized was a big problem for him all of his life until I started labeling drawers and adding dividers. I also fold his t-shirts and jeans the Marie Kondo way, stacked on end so that everything can be viewed at a glance- no more rifling through piles and tipping them over/unfolding them.

Granted, he has help because I do all of the laundry and organizing (because I really like to), but having things labeled that he can see has helped him keep things neater and makes it easier for him to find what he wants.

The second tip is to ruthlessly cull anything that's not being used. It's so much easier to find (and put away) the stuff you need when it's not cluttered up with things you don't want or use.

The third tip I have is to make sure everything has a place. It's still easy to misplace things if they don't have a home, but it is helpful when they do.

Lastly, don't worry about having things organized "correctly"- put things where you use them, in whatever way works for you. Having utensils in a cabinet versus a drawer sounds great if it works for you. Don't worry about what anyone else thinks, or how anyone else organizes. If it works, your life will be easier. That's all!

• CarolO
    CarolO Posts: 2

Just a note: I have a large chrome shelving pantry in the dining area of my kitchen. Everything has been visible for years. I finally bought a pretty shower curtain with a calming beach view to visually reduce the cluttered look.

The kitchen tools I use the most hang on the wall behind my stove. While this is not for everyone, it worked well for me when I wasn't as mobile.

Having an organization system helps my husband help me keep things in an orderly fashion.

• Julie_0
    Julie_0 Posts: 1

I found a junk drawer organizer on Amazon that works like a fishing tackle box. There are three levels that open up when the drawer is open and fold up so the drawer can close. This was the best tool to keep the drawer organized and still allow me to see everything therein.

• AmritaThakkar
    AmritaThakkar Posts: 25

Expert

I feel like everyone has covered the organizing stuff here pretty well, so I'm going to give a tip I've used myself that's saved me some time lately — invest in stuff that makes life easier for you.

I hate vacuuming because I have to take out the long, messy cord and keep plugging and unplugging it – so I bought a lightweight cordless vacuum. If you can afford it, just buy a Roomba or a generic robot vacuum. I don't like scrubbing to get messes out, so I got a jar of Pink Stuff and Magic Erasers and now I don't have to do that.

I was keeping myself from buying stuff because of the cost, but the fact that I actually end up doing household tasks now is worth the investment.

• I also have adhd and am getting better about keeping things tidy. I embraced the fact that it all had to be out and I kept it visually pleasing but didn’t love the cluttered look. I have decluttered down to the basics and can now have a home for most things near where I use them and easily put away. I had to get all the stuff I thought I needed out to make room for what I really do need. I still have decorative baskets to serve as a catch all in all rooms.

• Zephy
    Zephy Posts: 23

My advice for clothing is to NOT stack things. It looks good for a day or two, but soon the stacks get messy and fall over, and you always have to redo them.

Instead of stacking, use shoeboxes on shelves or inside drawers. You can fold T-shirts, jeans, etc., to stand up on edge inside the shoeboxes. This is a Marie Kondo trick — you can see all the items at a glance, but they're contained so you can remove any one without a stack falling over.

Plus, shoeboxes are free! You can even go to a shoe store and ask for empties; they usually throw them away so are glad to give you extras and will choose pretty ones for you if you ask. It's a win for everyone.

• Zephy
    Zephy Posts: 23

My super-simple organizer for financial papers: a large basket. After I've opened the statement, checked the receipt, paid the bill, whatever, I "file" the paper in the basket. I do not sort. I do not label a folder. I do not put a lid on the basket. I do not open a drawer. All financial-related papers get dropped into the basket. The basket lives on the floor near where I do mail and paperwork, so it's easy to drop stuff in.

At tax time, all the papers I need are in the basket. I spend a rather pleasant hour or two sorting them into piles by category. After taxes are done, I file the back-up papers in an accordion file with the tax returns. Then I sort through the accordion file from 7 years ago and pull out anything I need to save permanently, but throw out everything else (most of it can go; it isn't needed after 7 years).

As someone who used to tear up the house at tax time looking for all the needed papers (and often not finding them), I can vouch that this method is much easier! You don't need to sort papers by month or by category. Just put them all in 1 place, and make it easy to put them there. When you need them, you'll know exactly where they are.