Update needed?

Brigid
Brigid Posts: 5

Overall I like my living room but recently realized that the couch, ottoman and two chairs are 23 years old! Is it time for an update? I am open to suggestions and would consider reupholstery (I'm embarrassed to admit that I have never had it cleaned!). Also, with all the pillows on the couch, every time we entertain they are all pushed to the side, or put on the ground and it loses it look and drives me crazy! The dining room could use a refresh as well. Would love someone with fresh eyes to look at this.

Comments

• Raury
    Raury Posts: 6

I like most of your home. If you still like it I would leave it. Maybe get the upholstery cleaned and pick up a few things to add a different colour.

• DanielaAraya
    DanielaAraya Posts: 304

I love your style! I really like the pops of color in the artwork above your lounge chair. What if you sprinkled some of those colors throughout your living and dining room to give it a refresh?

In the living room, I know you mention the pillows being a pain point— how about switching the existing set with a few new, smaller ones? I like the idea of using something circular or just less square/rectangular to play with the shapes and see how that feels. You could get a modern storage ottoman to place the pillows in when you have company if they feel like they're in the way.

In your dining room, I would add a rug and see how that changes the feel of the space. You could always change the frame of your art or switch some art altogether. Your space looks great though! When I'm feeling like I need a refresh, I always defer to rug, pillow, or artwork swaps :)

• Brigid

Thank you! Great ideas!

• DanielleBlundell
    DanielleBlundell Posts: 61

Expert

I'm with everyone here! I think just maybe a refresh with new pillows and a rug under the dining table, etc! I feel the modern look you have going still works, even if it's 23 years later! That's what's so great about timeless design! I'd maybe pepper in some more red; it's having a moment right now and might pop a bit more on your sofa, especially with your artwork!

• CullenOrmond
    CullenOrmond Posts: 149

Expert

hi @Brigid! I, too, agree with everyone here — your decor and furnishings are so timeless. I think adding a rug underneath the dining table would add texture and depth to the space.

• MaxwellAT
    MaxwellAT Posts: 52

Expert

@Brigid I second all the rug suggestions… Your two rooms are filled with cool colors and hard surfaces, which may be practical if you live in a really hot climate, but overall, the rooms don't lack style, they simply lack warmth… I like the style and your furniture is all in good shape from what I can tell.

A big warm color rug with softness in the living room will wake up that room.

A big warm color rug in the dining room - I would choose an indoor/outdoor rug which are really great these days and/or you could also do sisal… which is nice underfoot!

• Brigid

Thank you for the suggestions! As far as a colorful rug in the living room goes, I love that idea, but I have struggled with anything other than the faux zebra shape as it is an oddly shaped room and the traditional square or rectangle doesn't seem to work. I would love photos to inspire me if you can show me some ideas. I just love this website! So inspiring!

• AnthroObsessed
    AnthroObsessed Posts: 3

hi there! I think your sofa is gorgeous! Reupholstering would cost a fortune, as would a new sofa, I like the idea of new pillows. A long bolster pillow in the middle and two square ones on the ends would be enough to keep in place and relax on, plus with all the money saved on a sofa, just have a professional company clean it. Everything else is lovely!

• TreyfVixen
    TreyfVixen Posts: 3

I appreciate how airy and light your home feels - really inviting. Perhaps some color infusion and slightly different sight line.
    To that end here are a few thoughts:

• Get different dining room chairs - the rectangle of the table and the quite tall rectangles of the chairs feel like they block the flow to the glass doors outside. They also feel slightly dated.
    • I abhor a zillion throw pillows - they end up on the floor cuz they arent providing support or comfort to the sitters. And they are often not squishy enough so they slide and bounce off.
    • I like your couch and also like how it fits your space.
      Perhaps the issue is, although in good condition, your couch might have a better life with someone else. If you can afford it, I say get a new couch. 23 years is a couch well-used and well-loved. Opt for one that has qualities that the throw pillows are trying to foster - squish ahhh leaning back and into the couch, etc. You could even play with a brighter color couch that would free your thinking all around.
    • The black ottomans could be easily recovered (staple guns are our friends)
    • Paint or wallpaper the wooden shelving divider.

Sounds like I'm poo pooing your home - on the contrary - inspired to make suggestions.
    Best of luck

• Brigid

Thank you! Keep the comments coming. This is incredibly feeling and no one is hurting my feelings. This is exactly what I was hoping for when I saw the opportunity to ask about a room. I hadn't though about the dining room chairs, that is a particularly great idea!