Best fix for a pile of t-shirts

DesignwithSoll
DesignwithSoll Posts: 12
edited July 3 in Organizing

I thought I had solved my bedroom closet T-Shirt problem when I bought these really nice closet storage boxes on Amazon. Unfortunately, I filled them up, and then the pile kept growing. And ultimately I can only use the t-shirts on top because I can't get to any of the shirts at the bottom of the pile.

Alas, in frustration I took a stab at improving it by rolling the shirts and putting the boxes on their sides. A huge upgrade and now I have access to every shirt.

In spite of the vast improvement, it still feels a bit sloppy. Do I just need to improve my t-shirt rolling technique? Are there other products or solutions I should be considering to get that organized closet look?

Comments

• MeganBakerDetloff
    MeganBakerDetloff Posts: 100

Expert

@Design with Soll I wonder if you might prefer cube storage (think IKEA KALLAX) to shelves? I also find that if I have too much space between shelves, my piles get unwieldy! It seems like you have the start to a cube storage system with your boxes already, maybe it's worth installing some more permanent shelving in this style?

• DesignwithSoll

Thanks @MeganBakerDetloff I'm also thinking about these stacked sliding shelves I've seen at Amazon. Feels a bit ~busy, but going to try it in my son's closet first and will see how it goes.

• CharliPenn
    CharliPenn Posts: 57

Expert

@Design with Soll Have you tried acrylics shelf dividers? For wide shelves, I use them to create mini cube-like squares to stack smaller clothing items like t-shirts. It's easy to see them all and grab one and you can instantly turn one large shelf into 5 mini storage cubes. They work really well and there re lots of options on Amazon!

• CullenOrmond
    CullenOrmond Posts: 149

Expert

@Design with Soll that was a great pivot!! I think Charli's suggestion about the acrylic shelf dividers is a great method to test!

• DesignwithSoll

@CullenOrmond Looking at these shelf dividers — is there any smart way to go two or more levels high? As you can see in the picture, I have plenty of vertical space.

• MaxwellAT
    MaxwellAT Posts: 52

Expert

What a picture! @Design with Soll

First of all, by trying to stack rolled t shirts, you're never going to win. First focus on better folding and then on the storage. Flat folds can stack. Rolled folds want to be put on edge in a drawer.. you can see how it's all done here in this video.

• Amber
    Amber Posts: 8
    edited June 27

One small change that makes my folded t-shirts easier to see and choose? I fold them neatly and stack them, but then FLIP the stack sideways, so the shirts 'stand up' side by side in a flat box or drawer. If those boxes are flipped on their side, the shirts are essentially stacked vertically and you can see the graphic at the fold.

• NazarK
    NazarK Posts: 1

I wonder if you just hung them all? I know it's a lot to have all those hangers but you would be able to see and have access to all your shirts at once. Better yet, you could color categorize them so you know just where to look.