What thrifting tip would you tell a beginner?

TerriPous
TerriPous Posts: 31

Expert

edited July 2 in Design Questions

I love vintage/thrifted items, but I've never gone thrifting because it overwhelms me! If you're an experienced thrifter, what advice would you give me to get started?

Comments

• DanielaAraya
    DanielaAraya Posts: 304

Following this thread as a fellow thrifting novice 😃 but I'll share a tip that was given to me: Set up alerts for keywords on Facebook Marketplace if you know you're looking for something specific, or if you like a particular style. Also, I had no idea you have to "train" your FBM algorithm! The more you interact with things you like, the better stuff you'll start seeing on your page

• MeganBakerDetloff
    MeganBakerDetloff Posts: 100

Expert

i am by no means an expert but i do think that with thrifting, as with most bargain hunting, frequent visits are key. otherwise, so much will come and go without you ever seeing it! better to swing by a favorite thrift store for 20 minutes once a week than go on an all-day thrifting hunt once a month, i think.

• CullenOrmond
    CullenOrmond Posts: 149

Expert

i'm a thrifting newbie but i've found what helps me — and this might sound silly — is to bring a snack (if the store permits!). thrifting can be overwhelming and some stores might require an entire afternoon to peruse. if i leave to go eat lunch or grab a snack, i likely won't go back! so bringing something to help sustain me really helps my motivation!

• SNandez
    SNandez Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

Go in with something in mind. If you're looking for something specific, you'll already have your brain focused and not be so overwhelmed with everything else around.

• CullenOrmond
    CullenOrmond Posts: 149

Expert

I completely agree with you @SNandez! I think it's best to go in with a game plan!

• DanielaAraya
    DanielaAraya Posts: 304

Taking notes: Have a plan, bring snacks, visit frequently ✍️😌

• maryjane87
    maryjane87 Posts: 1

Your question inspired me to write an entire blog article.

https://www.wonena.com/blogs/threads-of-sustainable-fashion/thrifting-for-beginners-your-easy-guide-to-sustainable-style

My main advice is to start with your network, analyze who has similar tastes, and freely share what you have available and for sale. Once you feel comfortable with this, you should be ready to target more significant markets.

• LizzyFrancis
    LizzyFrancis Posts: 54

Expert

I used to thrift a lot but fell out of it when I moved to NYC. I think one thing I would say is to try to take the pressure 'off' the shop in general, at least the first few times you go. Also, I'd start with vintage/curated shops first which may be more $$ but are a much more organized shopping experience!