What thrifting tip would you tell a beginner?

Options
TerriPous
TerriPous Posts: 16

Expert

edited July 2 in Design Questions

I love vintage/thrifted items, but I've never gone thrifting because it overwhelms me! If you're an experienced thrifter, what advice would you give me to get started?

Comments

• DanielaAraya
    DanielaAraya Posts: 163
    Options

Following this thread as a fellow thrifting novice 😃 but I'll share a tip that was given to me: Set up alerts for keywords on Facebook Marketplace if you know you're looking for something specific, or if you like a particular style. Also, I had no idea you have to "train" your FBM algorithm! The more you interact with things you like, the better stuff you'll start seeing on your page

• MeganBakerDetloff
    MeganBakerDetloff Posts: 87

Expert

Options

i am by no means an expert but i do think that with thrifting, as with most bargain hunting, frequent visits are key. otherwise, so much will come and go without you ever seeing it! better to swing by a favorite thrift store for 20 minutes once a week than go on an all-day thrifting hunt once a month, i think.

• CullenOrmond
    CullenOrmond Posts: 111

Expert

Options

i'm a thrifting newbie but i've found what helps me — and this might sound silly — is to bring a snack (if the store permits!). thrifting can be overwhelming and some stores might require an entire afternoon to peruse. if i leave to go eat lunch or grab a snack, i likely won't go back! so bringing something to help sustain me really helps my motivation!

• SNandez
    SNandez Posts: 40 ✭✭
    Options

Go in with something in mind. If you're looking for something specific, you'll already have your brain focused and not be so overwhelmed with everything else around.

• CullenOrmond
    CullenOrmond Posts: 111

Expert

Options

I completely agree with you @SNandez! I think it's best to go in with a game plan!

• DanielaAraya
    DanielaAraya Posts: 163
    Options

Taking notes: Have a plan, bring snacks, visit frequently ✍️😌