What's the best way to repaint metal?

isabelaeh
isabelaeh Posts: 21
edited July 2 in Design Questions

I recently bought this beautiful vintage floor lamp, but hate the color they restored it in. Its neither here nor there for me. I would have preferred a chrome vs matte-ish silver(this photo makes it look much better haha). If anyone has experience repainting/spray painting metal and whats the best brand and best way to prep that would be amazing!

I'm so obsessed with the tubular glass detail – whenever I have the windows open, it's like a wind chime!

Comments

• Apartment1Eleven
    Apartment1Eleven Posts: 0

That is GORGEOUS!
    (Assuming you can remove that shade so you don’t spray the glass) I would go with spray paint.
    To prep, you first need to clean the lamp REALLY well with either a degreaser, denatured alcohol, mineral spirits, vinegar, or acetone.

After it’s completely dry, lightly scuff sand it. Since that lamp has been previously refinished, use 120 grit - you don’t need to strip it, but it’ll smooth out any damaged or uneven paint.

Even though a lot of spray paints for metal claim to be paint and primer in one, I’ve found from experience that it’s always better to use a primer first. After a few coats of primer (enough to fully cover) spray a few coats of whatever color you’re going with. Lastly, spray a clear coat sealer, and when in doubt, apply more coats than you think might be necessary - this is what’ll protect the finish from any damage. If you’re going for chrome, I’d personally use a gloss finish. Let that dry completely (at least 24 hours) and then you should be good!

My favorite chrome spray paint is Krylon Premium Metallic in Original Chrome - I find this one hard to find at hardware stores, but craft stores usually carry it. My second favorite is Rustoleum Bright Coat in chrome, it’s at every hardware store and is a lot cheaper. As for clear coats, i don’t notice a big difference between brands so I usually go with rustoleum.

Good luck!

• N_A_Hart
    N_A_Hart Posts: 3

What a stunner! I spray paint metal all the time with no sanding, but I usually do a color and not another shade of metal. Most spray paints are made to adhere to metal. There are also colored waxes that you rub on and buff, but I haven't used those myself. But wow, what a lot of work to take all those glass tubes when you do paint it!

• MeganBakerDetloff
    MeganBakerDetloff Posts: 100

Expert

WOW WOW WOW what a find!! where did you get this??

Agree that spray paint would be my pick for this, though do you have any idea what they used for the refinishing? Was this the original color?

• MaxwellAT
    MaxwellAT Posts: 52

Expert

Agreed with all the above.. esp @Apartment1Eleven

"My favorite chrome spray paint is Krylon Premium Metallic in Original Chrome - I find this one hard to find at hardware stores, but craft stores usually carry it. My second favorite is Rustoleum Bright Coat in chrome, it’s at every hardware store and is a lot cheaper. As for clear coats, i don’t notice a big difference between brands so I usually go with rustoleum."

• isabelaeh
    isabelaeh Posts: 21

Thank you all for your suggestions! @Apartment1Eleven @MeganBakerDetloff @N_A_Hart @MaxwellRyan !

@megan I found the lamp on FB marketplace! I am not sure what they used to refinish it, but I will ask!

• Amber
    Amber Posts: 8
    edited June 19

My gosh that is gorgeous. I can't imagine how to repaint the head of it without removing all the tubes, and covering them to spray sounds tedious and messy (not an expert at ALL here). My head went to hand painting the head of the lamp to avoid spraying the tubes, but I'm afraid paint brush strokes would show. I wonder if a handled sponge would apply the color you want where all those tubes are, and then maybe a big old clear sealant all over it like you're locking in a hairstyle that won't move for days.😂

Maybe that would hide any texture that shows. Personally I would be so scared of ruining the gorgeous light system on this piece.

Also I need to keep my eye on FB marketplace more often! Good luck with this project. 🙂