Help me fill a blank living room corner!

BlairDonovan
BlairDonovan Posts: 53

Expert

edited July 2 in Design Questions

Hi all! I'm Blair, AT's senior style editor. I'm having a decorating conundrum, and would love any input!

I LOVE my current apartment, but I've struggled with the layout — my bedroom is massive, and the living room is fairly small. One corner of the living room specifically has stressed me out for so long. I have no idea what to put next to my TV stand!

It's a pretty sizable little nook — about 45 inches — and I could definitely benefit from some sort of storage solution for my overflowing book collection (see: under the TV stand). I worry about blocking the window and curtain to the right, though, so I'm hesitant to get a tall bookcase or anything like that. But please let me know what you think, I'm open to any styling suggestions!

Comments

• AmritaThakkar
    AmritaThakkar Posts: 25

Expert

Have you considered an open shelf with bookends? You could arrange your books as needed to keep light from getting blocked, if you set them up right!

• DanielleBlundell
    DanielleBlundell Posts: 61

Expert

I was thinking rows of open shelving, too!

• mexicosue
    mexicosue Posts: 5

I am thinking a half size not too wide bookcase would work well there for your books with some beautiful green plants in terracotta pots on top of the bookcase. Room could use some greenery (even good fake ones would look good). Good luck and have fun!!

• moonmaiden
    moonmaiden Posts: 1

Hi! I LOVE your chair. And your clear table. Have you considered placing the chair next to the curtains? It would not block the light. And in place of the chair, you could get a small ikea bookcase for the books. I used to have a wall like that one and my solution was to paint the middle wall (where the tv is) a color that would make it stand out and focus the room. Hope this helps

• N_A_Hart
    N_A_Hart Posts: 3

You could flank the TV console with those horizontal bookshelves that kind of disappear and just look like books (like this one https://www.bauhaus2yourhouse.com/products/sapiens-bookcase?variant=41498732&sfdr_ptcid=31462_4_492949286&sfdr_hash=c1bd31810b767a4488a2ee8068ae6bcb&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwmYCzBhA6EiwAxFwfgJxEk6CZJ1g7WQ-TFOi3duTBsrE3Zxb87oYuPMGuh_B4JE0g0ffrsxoCFh0QAvD_BwE ). You kind of have a disappearing furniture theme with the coffee table :-)

• BarbCVT
    BarbCVT Posts: 1

Is there room directly behind your sofa for a low book case? I’d like to see a ficus tree, with some twinkle lights in that corner next to the window. A beautiful framed piece of art would look great on that wall above the credenza, but I’m afraid it would be too high with the tv there…

• SunChef
    SunChef Posts: 1
    edited June 6

Have you thought about house plants possibly on a multi tiered shelf? That would add color and definitely fill the space. Pictures as well.

• DanielaAraya
    DanielaAraya Posts: 317

I'm team open shelving! Something like these acrylic wall shelves could be cool for displaying books and not taking up a lot of space, too!

• CullenOrmond
    CullenOrmond Posts: 149

Expert

I love the natural light in your apartment @BlairDonovan! Have you considered putting a tall plant (maybe it could be real to capitalize off the sunlight!).

• Kathyrosie1_
    Kathyrosie1_ Posts: 1

love the acrylic book shelves. The plant at the window is a great idea. I would like to see the tv on a wall stand. The area above it is very bare.. love the coffee table too.

• StatontheFacts
    StatontheFacts Posts: 1

A tall plant like a fig tree would be lovely there, adding color and dimension.

• kwilks67
    kwilks67 Posts: 6

I have an inset nook between my TV and the window like that in my apartment too! I turned it into a little reading corner with a comfy chair, a statement hanging pendant light, and floating bookshelves. Now I LOVE sitting there and reading while having a different angle of viewing my apartment that's not looking right at the TV.

Anything taller than the TV feels like it would bring the eye up nicely, so floating shelving with some trailing plants would probably make your space feel even bigger!

• Rosemee
    Rosemee Posts: 2

get a shallow ikea mosslanda or similar shelf for each side of the rooms. Swap out art and decor on the shelves so you never get bored and the wall becomes a focal point.

• Rosemee
    Rosemee Posts: 2
    edited July 11

or go crazy and paint a mural, put shelves with odds and ends on the wall. It’s great fun to move objects and artwork around … make the shelf over the fireplace part of the group