Help me "fix" this lamp

AdrienneBreaux
AdrienneBreaux Posts: 70

Expert

edited July 2 in Design Questions

So I was on a fringe kick a few months ago and added fringe to this lamp's lampshade… and then gave the fringe a weird "wavy" trim. I don't think that fringe was the right DIY direction to take this lampshade in, but now I'm not sure what to do next! I could just take the fringe off entirely and leave it as-is, but I kind of liked the idea of adding more details to the lampshade. Any thoughts?

Comments

• CullenOrmond
    CullenOrmond Posts: 149

Expert

wait @AdrienneBreaux I love the wavy fringe and don't think it should be removed!!!!! (I especially love the texture next to that textured piece of artwork nearby.) I'm not sure what exactly, but I wonder if there's a way to add more color to the lampshade?

• AdrienneBreaux

Expert

@CullenOrmond i did such a bad job trimming it though hah. It's all uneven! It's hard to cut fringe! Okay but if I added some color in, like how? Paint? Fabric?! Embroidery?!

• CullenOrmond
    CullenOrmond Posts: 149

Expert

I think you did an incredible job @AdrienneBreaux! 🤗 maybe paint to tie in the colors from the surrounding artwork?

• AmritaThakkar
    AmritaThakkar Posts: 25

Expert

@AdrienneBreaux honestly I kind of love the uneven fringe. I think the artwork already adds a lot of color so maybe some minimalist embroidery?

• DanielleBlundell
    DanielleBlundell Posts: 61

Expert

Can you add just the trim part of the fringe as a border to the top of the shade? i think it might help it feel more visually balanced?

• artistemerging
    artistemerging Posts: 1

Does the shade lend itself to doing a punch needle work on it? I see what you mean, but it looks like it's just not done yet. Keep trying! You can always find another plain lampshade if it doesn't work.

• AdrienneBreaux

Expert

@artistemerging i don't think the material would work with punch needle! but i do wonder if i could embroider it…