Awkward blank space under windows -- help!

disch
disch Posts: 1
edited July 2 in Design Questions

The windows along my studio apartment's back wall extend the full width of the apartment (about 20 feet). But there's this awkward blank wall space between the bottom of the windows and the floor that I'd love to do something interesting with. As you can see in the photo, I do have a through-the-wall AC unit in the middle, plus really ugly baseboard heaters along the floor.

Any ideas on what to do? I'm totally open to paint, wallpaper, art, etc. Help me brainstorm!!

Comments

• DanielaAraya
    DanielaAraya Posts: 308

How deep is your AC unit? Is there enough space for you to install something like the IKEA Billy storage cubes on the wall or small shelves? This would give you a little storage for books and styling. If not, having a little pop of color against the wall would be fun! Wallpaper or paint would totally change up the space and distract from that area. You could wallpaper the wall and paint the inside of your window ledge (or ceiling!) so you draw the eyes up. I love Chasing Paper for peel & stick wallpaper.

• disch
    disch Posts: 1

oh thanks @DanielaAraya ! I love the idea of peel & stick wallpaper in the area — I hadn't thought of that. i'll check out Chasing Paper.

• MeganBakerDetloff
    MeganBakerDetloff Posts: 100

Expert

I love what you've started with the art — this would be a really fun, unexpected place to have a little gallery moment!

• Rebecca
    Rebecca Posts: 30

wallpaper would be so fun!

• DanielaAraya
    DanielaAraya Posts: 308

Of course! Keep us posted on where you land! Would love to see how it turns out 🙂

• LizzyFrancis
    LizzyFrancis Posts: 54

Expert

FWIW, I have a friend who built a little gallery wall for her cat around her toy crate and food/water bowl. It's so fun & SO cute. Maybe I'll share a photo of it later! I love the idea of drawing the eye to different places than you'd expect.

• MaxwellAT
    MaxwellAT Posts: 52

Expert

I wouldn't try to "decorate" or get too fancy on that wall as you risk - with paint or wallpaper - simply bringing more attention to the window frames, the heater and the AC unit. It's never great to try to accent a wall that has this many disruptions in it.

Instead, I would look at getting two super slim console tables that would sit in front of the window and also allow the AC unit to stick through, but would also allow you to begin to hide those ugly parts of the wall without blocking the cooling or the heating. I would look at metal consoles like this one at Room and Board.