My Dining Room Before & (in-progress) After

MeganBakerDetloff
MeganBakerDetloff Posts: 100

Expert

edited June 3 in Show & Tell

Sharing my progress on my dining room! I'm not quite done — the shelves, for example, are not screwed into the brackets yet because I think I need to even out the stain a bit first. I'm also waiting for my art to come back from the framers! Eventually I hope to add a pendant light in here, too, so that we have more than just the harsh can lights.

BUT for now I am very happy with the progress! Here's what I did:

-fixed my existing blinds so they're finally straight (this might have been the hardest part 😅)

-filled holes, caulked gaps + seams, and painted (color is Behr's Blank Canvas)

-replaced old cabinet hardware

-installed a new mid-century style coat rack

-made curved shelves from 1x10 lumber + installed brackets on the wall

I just filled the shelves with a few things I had on hand already, but I am excited to actually decorate them in earnest! What would you put up there?

Comments

• CharliPenn
    CharliPenn Posts: 57

Expert

I'm absolutely obsessed with those shelves, @MeganBakerDetloff ! Is there a tutorial on how you made them anywhere? I may "try" to make something similar for my office. They fill out the wall so beautifully. Also, what a unique bar cart. Did you make it or buy it? Loving the paint too! So much to love in this space.

• MeganBakerDetloff

Expert

edited May 30

@CharliPenn thank you!! no tutorial but maybe i should write one 🤔

I marked where I wanted my curve to start, traced an angle from that point to the end of the board, then used that as a guide to pencil my curve shape. From there I cut it out with a jigsaw and used an orbital sander to make it smooth! I did a lotttt of sanding on these shelves to make that curve look nice, and I also buffed down any hard edges to make everything really soft curves. After that I sanded some more and finished with a dark walnut stain!

I did NOT do a prestain conditioner and I regret it! The application is a little streaky in person so I need to go back in and fix it. love a shortcut that actually adds more time 🤪

The bar cart is a vintage buy! It's from my very favorite (now closed 😭) antique mall. The table and chairs are from there, too!

• mexicosue
    mexicosue Posts: 5

Great job so far. Love the shelves and to see the room when it's finished!

• MeganBakerDetloff

Expert

@mexicosue thank you!! I can’t wait to get my art back and will definitely be posting updates as I make more changes!

• DanielaAraya
    DanielaAraya Posts: 304

Love these shelves! What about some colorful cookbooks to style with your artwork and plants? Can't wait to see where you land with it all!

• StephanieNguyen
    StephanieNguyen Posts: 87

Expert

You've done sooooo much @MeganBakerDetloff ! Way to go!

• TerriPous
    TerriPous Posts: 31

Expert

Where are the chairs from?!

• Amber
    Amber Posts: 8

Id probably add a few stacks of books with some plants & odd sculptures or knick knacks. I've been feeling a maximalist vibe lately,but I also don't like to dust! 😂

• CullenOrmond
    CullenOrmond Posts: 149

Expert

@MeganBakerDetloff wow, the work you've done is absolutely incredible! I'm also OBSESSED with the green glass in the cabinets. do you use those cabinets as storage?

• MeganBakerDetloff

Expert

The chairs and table are a vintage set! from my favorite now defunct antique mall 😭

• MeganBakerDetloff

Expert

@CullenOrmond thank you!!! i would love to say they are display only but alas, they are very necessary additional storage for kitchen linens, appliances, less-frequently used kitchen tools, and extra plates/glasses!

• MaryB
    MaryB Posts: 34

it looks lovely Megan