Zero Energy Entryway

Plantriana
Plantriana Posts: 7
edited July 2 in Design Questions

We have a very blank entryway that says "welcome to our home, I guess." We have a large closet nearby for coats and shoes, so we don't need to use this space for storage. We like the green bench and the rug (washable, because dog). What could liven this area more? My design crutch is always plants, but this space gets zero natural light. And speaking of light, this overhead builder-grade light fixture has definitely overstayed its welcome.

Comments

• AmritaThakkar
    AmritaThakkar Posts: 23

Expert

Hi @Plantriana! Firstly, definitely chuckled at the description of this entryway... afraid mine looks something like this too, working on it!

I think a wallpaper would work great here - solid would be nice, but you can def go for patterned as well. I'm personally partial to floral wallpapers, and peel and stick is great for rentals. A cute keyholder would also be a great addition!

• MeganBakerDetloff
    MeganBakerDetloff Posts: 100

Expert

@Plantriana never have i related more to a quote: We have a very blank entryway that says "welcome to our home, I guess." 

Agree with @AmritaThakkar re: wallpaper, and i feel like this would be a great place for a gallery rail too… that way you could easily change out art whenever you feel like it.

I am in love with the color of this bench! would you ever consider a paint color in that same shade? it's so luxurious! it looks like the entryway has clear doorway to the inside of your home so you could totally make it feel like its own separate little space here.

• Plantriana

Oh wow, I love the idea of a gallery wall … maybe with a floral wallpaper! We're definitely in love with the green color of the bench. A cocoon effect with that color could be cool!

• DanielaAraya
    DanielaAraya Posts: 308

Love the suggestions above! (and also guilty of laughing at "welcome to our home, I guess")

If you did floral wallpaper, it would be so fun to paint the door trim on the opposite walls a complementary color to match. That's my go-to move for making something feel more interesting. If you're open to changing the light fixture, check out Mitzi! Also +1 to a little keyholder, and maybe even a small mirror right before the front door. Please share updates!!

• MaxwellAT
    MaxwellAT Posts: 52

Expert

Totally agree with all these comments. Entryways are a great place to push some design splash and even to use dark colors, which will make the room open up into brightness as you come out of it. Definitely consider…
    1. accent wall on the left with paint or wallpaper
    2. installing a "landing strip" (many posts here) which will include:
    - slim console for dropping keys, mail, etc
    - mirror above for quick checks when leaving the house and will also make hallway feel bigger
    - wastebasket below (throw away junk mail, etc so it doesn't come into your house)
    - umbrella stand (if you like!)
    This is the main thing the hall needs - a good place to land when you come home and to help keep clutter from building up in your other rooms…

• MaxwellAT
    MaxwellAT Posts: 52

Expert

I totally agree with all these suggestions. Entryways are a great place for a little design splash right where you come in and they are also the best place to install a Landing Strip, which will help you make the hallway work a lot harder for you and keep clutter from entering into your other rooms..

• CullenOrmond
    CullenOrmond Posts: 149

Expert

I agree with Maxwell! I think a dark wallpaper would be super dramatic and striking in the entryway and will make the rest of the home feel so much brighter! Please keep us updated on how you transform this space!

• Amber
    Amber Posts: 8

Gotta agree with everyone here. There's definitely room for a long, narrow table or storage unit of some sort as a landing strip.

I LOVE that bench and agree that using that color as an accent wall or gasp all the trim in the entryway is a great idea. I can also see one of these walls with a gorgeous greenery maximalist wallpaper of some sort. Gold accents or little tchochkis on a table or shelves would feel warm with that green.

Also I've fully embraced artificial plants indoors where I can't get them the sun they need.

Can't wait to see what you do!

• Abbylane
    Abbylane Posts: 8

love this question… entries are such important areas and often overlooked. In Feng Shui the front door is known as the mouth of Chi and where all energy enters our homes. A welcoming space here helps invite Chi to linger and spread its good vibes throughout your home.

I love the ideas above first I would ask you a few questions before recommending anything:

How do you and your family use your entry?

Do you sit on that lovely bench?

Do you need a drop space or are you able to magically keep it this clean?

I’d love a dark paint or wallpaper on the wall - maybe you can incorporate your love of plants with a botanical feel. A mirror and some artwork on the wall an hanging vase for flowers here is amazing and that lovely bench or replace it with a console whichever makes more sense for your fam. I would move either bench or console closer toward the door and place a large plant/faux plant/small table with plant in that corner before the gate this way you’ll see the greenery upon entering. A runner in this space is great - the small mat at door looks too tiny here maybe it can move somewhere new. I also love the idea of adding a wreath, swag or art to the inside of the door for some fun visual interaction as you leave the home.
    Excited to see what you do here

xo

Abby

• Plantriana

I love these questions Abbylane!

We use this space to put on and remove our shoes, and we also use it to clean our dog's feet after walks (since he doesn't usually wear shoes, lol). The little gate is also for him.

We do sit on that bench for both activities before moving into the rest of the home. And then the doors you see in the hallway are for the laundry and a powder room.

We have a couple of drop spaces. One is a bowl on a kitchen counter just around the counter for keys, etc. And then in the closet we keep shoes and our dog's leash etc. My husband is severely allergic to clutter and has given the idea of a landing strip in that hallway a hard pass, lol.

But once we're done with the summer traveling we're going to zero in on our vision for an accent wall — we're thinking a bold botanic print in greens!

That little mat in front of the door is sad, isn't it? I ordered it from Etsy and it showed up much smaller than I expected, lol. We do plan to replace it

• Abbylane
    Abbylane Posts: 8

Well sooooo many moons later I'm finally getting back to you! I'm attaching links to a few fun ideas…

https://chirpy.st/u13838_ApjAMa

https://chirpy.st/u13838_ouxaqN

https://chirpy.st/u13838_Sy3qsx