Where to donate, dispose and consign

Pinky
Pinky Posts: 1
edited July 5 in Organizing

I’m starting a “Swedish Death Cleaning” but need suggestions for places to donate, dispose of, and consign unwanted items.

Comments

• ncdebe
    ncdebe Posts: 2

For household goods, I contact the Women's Shelter. Some people are having to start over with nothing. Books and mags are offered to the library and rest homes. Old towels and linens I take to the humane society!

• AdrienneBreaux
    AdrienneBreaux Posts: 70

Expert

You might try a "fire sale" where you have a garage/yard sale but advertise the prices as super low and/or free. You'd be surprised how many people would come!

• DanielleBlundell
    DanielleBlundell Posts: 61

Expert

Where I live, you can find big donation bins in many shopping center parking lots, which allow for 24/7 drop offs. Typically, they take clothing, shoes, and the like and sometimes small appliances and home goods. Very convenient and just a thought!

• MeganBakerDetloff
    MeganBakerDetloff Posts: 100

Expert

i have also had amazing luck in getting rid of things in a snap by posting on my neighborhood buy nothing page! that's where I take things that seem dangerous to put into donation bins (like cutlery or glasses) or things that are just kind of random (half-used art supplies, for example). my best advice is to put everything out on your driveway/curb, take a photo of what's there, and post the photo to the group and let people know it's first come, first serve. it's the easiest way to get rid of a lot of things at once!

• CharliPenn
    CharliPenn Posts: 57

Expert

@Pinky We schedule pickups with the local veteran's groups. They make pickups twice a week typically and will come and grab as much as you're willing to give.

• MrsAllnut
    MrsAllnut Posts: 4

I agree, DAV does collecting every month, you can schedule the most convenient day for you, and they leave a receipt in case you use the donation as a tax write off.

• hollisnan
    hollisnan Posts: 1

If you live in Queens, Commonoint Closet may be a good way to offload old business clothing and other wearable items.

• Alltimatepacker
    Alltimatepacker Posts: 2

This is a great time to also go through the luggage and bags closet. Orphanages and women's shelters need many items as @ncdebe pointed out, but people rarely think of donating luggage to them. Good luck.

• MaryB
    MaryB Posts: 34

I have donated huge amount of “things” through Freecycle. It is world wide. You look for one in your area. Totally for giving away, or requesting items. No sales. You sign up with email and post your items on the site. If someone is interest they send an email through the site. No personal contact until you’re ready for delivery. You can have ppl do a curb pick up. But what I do if small items, is put things in a box and meet the person taking the items at a local small shopping mall.