This space needs some life

MakingHomeWithApril
MakingHomeWithApril Posts: 42 ✭✭✭
edited July 2 in Design Questions

We just added this bench to our upstairs hallway. Part of me wants to paint the wall black, but the other part wants a colorful wallpaper.

What are some of your thoughts on making this space more appealing to the eye?

Comments

• tkilgs
    tkilgs Posts: 2

maybe replace the mirror with a colorful piece of vertical art? and switch out the plant for something with a little more height?

• MakingHomeWithApril
    edited May 29

@tkilgs Thank you! That plant came from our bedroom. I put it there as a placeholder. The biggest issue is that the hall doesn't get much light.

• MakingHomeWithApril

@CharliPenn I think I am leaning more toward the wallpaper for color. I like the idea of the floor plant and putting the bench a little off-centered. My only issue with be light. I do have a grow light, so that is an option, but I always think they look a little tacky.

Let me go down the wallpaper rabbit hold real quick. 😁

• CharliPenn
    CharliPenn Posts: 57

Expert

@MakingHomeWithApril Yes, I agree 100 percent. I've never seen a grow light that I love. Would a faux plant here be an option? A lot of them look so realistic these days. I have a mix of faux and real plants all over my home because I love the look but sometimes there's just not enough light. Ha! Can't wait to see how the wallpaper turns out. I like the brand Tempaper a lot. I've used it in my own home. (Share pics when you're done!)

• Nankoby
    Nankoby Posts: 2

I agree with the wallpaper. A nice bold print and since there's not a lot of light for the plant I would look for a fake one and put it in a nice basket. Some fake plants are really life like and pretty.

• marianney
    marianney Posts: 3

Just chiming in to say I agree with all the comments here. A really cool wallpaper would be awesome here and a tall fake plant. Ikea has some really nice fake plants that look pretty realistic. Just make sure to keep it dusted :)
    The other option would be to put a tall snake plant here if you get some light at all. They say they can survive anywhere with no light, but I killed mine by having it in a fairly dark corner so they do need some indirect light.

• AdrienneBreaux
    AdrienneBreaux Posts: 70

Expert

Wallpaper 100%!!!! And I also agree about a snake plant… they can take more shade than you realize. But also I've seen some pretty good faux plants, too!

• DanielleBlundell
    DanielleBlundell Posts: 61

Expert

wallpaper for the win here! And maybe paint the mirror's frame in a cooridnating shade?

• MakingHomeWithApril

@DanielleBlundell Great idea on painting the mirror!!!

• MakingHomeWithApril

@AdrienneBreaux I will try the snake plant. I am not a lover of faux plants at all.

• MakingHomeWithApril

@marianney I will definitely go with the snake plant. Never liked faux plants, and one of the reasons is the dust factor. 🤣

• MakingHomeWithApril
    edited May 29

@CharliPenn I will share pics when I complete the task. I am currently working on a wine display project. Once I complete that, I will get started on this one. Faux plants have never really been my thing, so I will go with the snake plant. I believe there is enough light in the hallway for that.

• DesignwithSoll
    DesignwithSoll Posts: 12
    edited May 29

Your round mirror and decor reminds me of this picture. My suggestion would be to explore a higher key color like this mustard, or even an orange like this

• CJCreggsGoldfish
    CJCreggsGoldfish Posts: 3

A little rug under the bench, or in front of it, might help? And maybe a fuller/bigger plant?

• MakingHomeWithApril

@CJCreggsGoldfish I will consider a small rug. That space is between our bedroom and our two-year-old's room. He is a little clumsy, so we don't have him falling over it.

• MakingHomeWithApril

@ericsoll Thanks for the ideas. @CharliPenn suggested a wallpaper from Tempaper. I looked on their site, and I am drawn to this one. It's either this, or one that I found on Etsy.

• DesignwithSoll
    DesignwithSoll Posts: 12

I want that wallpaper!

• layla
    layla Posts: 3

That wallpaper makes that small (but somehow so empty) space look properly filled! Offsetting the bench and adding your snake plant will be perfect and won't clutter things up :) I love how this was worked through collectively. How cool! And @ericsoll I loved your ideas, too!

• MeganBakerDetloff
    MeganBakerDetloff Posts: 100

Expert

@MakingHomeWithApril I LOVE this paper you picked! I feel like this is also a perfect spot for a larger faux plant with some height… a fiddle leaf fig or olive tree maybe? that table is so pretty, i think adding something with a little height would really help here! if not a plant maybe a floor lamp?

• MakingHomeWithApril

@MeganBakerDetloff Thank you. I am going to go plant shopping this weekend. I plan to look for a tall snake plant. The hall gets some light from the bedrooms on either side, but it isn't a whole lot of light. I might throw in a thick knit blanket. Hmmm….

• MakingHomeWithApril

@Nankoby I will put the plant in a nice basket. I believe we have a couple contenders in the house. Fake plants just aren't my thing, but I will make sure to get something that will survive in the space.

• MakingHomeWithApril

@layla I love the how it all came together as well. Thanks to everyone for the tips. ☺️