IKEA Billy Bookcase Turned Built-Ins

MakingHomeWithApril
MakingHomeWithApril Posts: 42 ✭✭✭
edited July 3 in Show & Tell

We moved into our home in 2021. We just had the IKEA bookshelves in white. My wife wanted the built-in look, so I worked on them one weekend while she was away. I love the way they turned out.

Comments

• DanielleBlundell
    DanielleBlundell Posts: 61

Expert

What a wonderful surprise to come home to!

• MakingHomeWithApril

@DanielleBlundell I love listening to my records in that room. ❤

• Rebecca
    Rebecca Posts: 30

What a cool transformation with you bookcases! I Want to try it.

• DesignwithSoll
    DesignwithSoll Posts: 12

That is clever!

• VijayNathan
    VijayNathan Posts: 7

Wow! I love how finished it looks. @MakingHomeWithApril could you tell us more about what things you did to make them look built-in? And do you have a pic of what it looked like before?

• MakingHomeWithApril

@VijayNathan Here are some pics of the before, and a little on the process. I have a video, but I cannot upload it here.

I had to sift through my Instagram account to find them. It was basically me building a frame for them to sit on, then I had to attach 1x4's to the sides so that I would be able to add the front connecting pieces. (As you see, I am not good at tutorials/teaching) 😂 I also had to use caulk to fill ALL of the holes in each bookcase. I have some videos, but cannot upload them here. If you would like to see them, I can email.

• Chkee
    Chkee Posts: 1

this is stunning. I rent, so idk if this is something I could do, but definitely would love to try when I have a house!

• MakingHomeWithApril

@Chkee You should. I made it harder than it was in my head. Once I started going I just went step by step, and it wasn't bad at all.

• MeganBakerDetloff
    MeganBakerDetloff Posts: 100

Expert

wow these look professional! amazing job 😍

• MeganBakerDetloff
    MeganBakerDetloff Posts: 100

Expert

@MakingHomeWithApril do you remember the paint color? it's gorgeous!

• MakingHomeWithApril
    edited May 29

@MeganBakerDetloff Thank you! The color is Tricorn Black by Sherwin Williams

• SarahEverett
    SarahEverett Posts: 51

Expert

edited June 3

@MakingHomeWithApril would you ever be interested in a feature in Apartment Therapy's Before & After series? we'd love to include this!! if you're interested, you can share more details/photos here. ✨😇

• MaxwellAT
    MaxwellAT Posts: 52

Expert

@MakingHomeWithApril what kind of paint did you use?? I would worry that the finish on the Billy's would not allow the paint to really adhere….

• CullenOrmond
    CullenOrmond Posts: 149

Expert

OMG @MakingHomeWithApril please tell me your secret to organizing all of your books! we've interviewed a librarian about book organization, but I'd love to hear your POV. (I'm a bookworm who just has books stacked on my floor 🙃)

• MakingHomeWithApril

@CullenOrmond hello! I actually have my alphabetized for the most part. The decor books aren’t alphabetized. I tried color coding and didn’t like the look, and I couldn’t find things easily.

• MakingHomeWithApril

@MaxwellRyan i followed a process on YouTube. I did 3 coats of shellac which allows the paint to adhere. I then used Sherwin Williams Tricorn Black, and we haven’t had any issues

• MakingHomeWithApril

@SarahEverett I would love that!!!

• DanielleBlundell
    DanielleBlundell Posts: 61

Expert

late to this party, but this is inspiring me to maybe take a on an IKEA record bench hack, since you said you listen to records here @MakingHomeWithApril! i'd love to add one to my office! you did a really nice job finishing the top and bottom of the cases! That attention to detail makes it so high end looking!