My drab powder room needs a pick-me-up!

VijayNathan
VijayNathan Posts: 7
edited May 28 in Design Questions

When we moved into this house, we didn't have much time so we painted the entire house a neutral gray color, including this powder room which is our most-used bathroom. I'd love to have it make more of a bold statement, either with paint or a fun wallpaper. We love eclectic, colorful, and modern, with a preference for warmer and bolder colors. As context, in our primary bathroom, we have a jungle-themed wallpaper from The Jungalow which we love!

Does anyone have recommendations for paint colors or wallpaper that would look good in here? Also any other changes you would make?

Comments

• Rachel
    Rachel Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited May 28

love your artwork and maybe choosing a color from that piece to incorporate into your wallpaper or paint color?

• AdrienneBreaux
    AdrienneBreaux Posts: 70

Expert

So I'd love to see a fun patterned wallpaper on the ceiling! Something in a nice yellow, like this floral print! Then I would pick a color to paint the walls, maybe something light blue or a color that's in the wallpaper you choose. Blue and yellow are complementary colors (across of each other on the color wheel) and will create a lot of energy in the space. I'd consider giving the existing mirror a little extra gravitas by painting a "frame" around it; something like this DIY window trim paint job would be perfect:

Finally, I'd also add some lights above the mirror or on either side of the mirror. You don't have to hardwire anything; they have great options for battery-operated light fixtures now.

• CharliPenn
    CharliPenn Posts: 57

Expert

I was heading straight to comments to say add color everywhere (including the ceiling). Love Adrienne's idea to do so with wallpaper. It would be such an instant boost of fun and warmth. I've found so many amazing wireless sconces on Amazon lately. The selection is fantastic and they come in lots of popular styles you're used to seeing as hard wired lights.

• Avid
    Avid Posts: 5

This bathroom is quite masculine (chrome tpaper holder, black mat)with a few feminine touches (art, basket, candles). To give it more oomph, I'd pick up more of the feminine details…use the color of the saddle on the elephant (melon?) as a background color for that wall…replace the tpaper holder with a woven basket…and maybe a floormat that picks up the colors in the artwork.

• VijayNathan

@AdrienneBreaux I don't know what magic you used to create that rendering but I LOVE it. It's so helpful to see what the room would look like in an alternate way. I never would have thought to put a sconce above the shelf but it really fills out the space nicely. Do you think its a problem that it would have to be above the shelf since there's not enough room between the shelf and the mirror?

I also love the idea of getting a more creative but similarly shaped mirror. thank you!

• VijayNathan

@CharliPenn The ceiling wallpaper is such a creative idea! I love it too.

• VijayNathan

@Avid that's a great point! a lot of the items feel very "cold" right now, I hadn't put that together. I love the idea of considering an orange/melon or even a magenta from the flowers as the wall color and changing the rug too. Also, the metal toilet paper holder was a purely functional purchase since I have small kids at home, but a woven basket would be a great stylish alternative, thank you!

• LizzyFrancis
    LizzyFrancis Posts: 54

Expert

LOVE the ceiling wall paper idea, @AdrienneBreaux !!!