Suggestions for lighting for dining/kitchen table

M0M
M0M Posts: 8
edited October 20 in Design Questions

I’ve recently moved into a new home and my kitchen table is in a decent-sized room that also serves as the entryway. The room is 17x11 ft. The issue is that the room only has two wall sconces for lighting. While I’ve added a small table lamp on a nearby shelf, it’s still too dim for kids' activities and for eating. Does anyone have lighting suggestions that don’t require an electrician? I’ve included a layout to help visualize the space. Outlets are under the right (upper) sconce shown in yellow, next to the entry door, and behind the shelving.

Comments

• DanielaAraya
    DanielaAraya Posts: 400

Congrats on moving into your new space!

I just spoke to a designer for this piece I wrote who had really great lighting tips — no electrician required. She suggests using a plug-in pendant light cord kit (this one is her favorite) to bring in more lighting (with these dimmable bulbs). You can pin the cord up your wall and move around depending on where you want your lighting. I love the look of this with a big rice paper shade like this:

I've bought one from HAY, but you can also find them on IKEA and Amazon

Unrelated: I love the use of primary colors in your floor plan 😅

• CharliPenn
    CharliPenn Posts: 63

Expert

@DanielaAraya The pendant light cord kit is a brilliant solve in this room. Also, this may be very unconventional but is there any way to bring in more light for activities using LED flameless candles as tabletop decor/centerpieces? Some of them are surprisingly bright and it could serve as double duty decor too.

• M0M
    M0M Posts: 8

@DanielaAraya - I like the idea of the plug in overhead light! I need to find a shade that would work with those types of cords. Initial quick searches have resulted in some really fun origami paper options!

@CharliPenn - Good idea! I actually bought a few flameless candles last week for the table and the kids think it's such a fun addition at dinner. After using them a few days, I do still want something brighter for when I'm working at the table in the evenings.

Thanks, all! I'll try to remember to share my solution once I get all the pieces together!