Vintage highchair refurbish

heathercubed
heathercubed Posts: 7
edited September 17 in Design Questions

I have an oak press-back highchair that I got 40 years ago second hand, when my son was a baby. It's not an antique but was called an antique reproduction at the time. Now my daughter has just had her first baby and I am planning on having it stripped as the finish is uneven, damaged in places and the tray a replacement (after my husband didn't believe me that it wouldn't support the weight of a man balancing against it to put their boots on) doesn't match the stain on the rest of the chair anyway.

I am taking it to a place that will do all the hard work and get it ready for either staining or painting. I am undecided on what to do with it after it's stripped and that's why I am here. I don't love oak and as it is not a valuable antique, I am not opposed to painting all or some of it. I have considered a pale blue but want suggestions from others on what parts to paint and maybe even different colour options, who are not in the, leave it all natural, camp.

Comments

• I have a highchair that is at least 70 years old, which my husband refinished, and I use it now as a decoration with either a large plant or a stuffed animal in it, according to my current whim. I would suggest that you reconsider using a highchair that is at least 40-years old for your daughter's baby. Older highchairs often are hazardous, as they can easily tip over. Perhaps it could be used as part of a room decor. Those old highchairs are so charming!

• heathercubed
    heathercubed Posts: 7

This one is quite sturdy and not in the slightest way tippy. We are going attach a harness though to prevent escape/falls. I won't hold onto it merely for decor as it won't serve any other purpose if not used for its intended use. Thanks for responding.