FLUFFY duvet

TerriPous
TerriPous Posts: 31

Expert

edited September 14 in Design Questions

My duvet is all flat and leaking feathers :( Do you have any suggestions of fluffy duvets you love?? Or how to keep them that way?!

Comments

• MaxwellAT
    MaxwellAT Posts: 52

Expert

Hi @TerriPous I don't know how old your duvet is, BUT if it's old AND flat and leaking it's time for a new one. If it's not old, you can try a gentle wash and then a very light dry with a sneaker inside a sock to fluff it up and you will see how far you can get it. ALSO wool dryer balls are excellent for this and also for softening in general and they WON'T smell like your sneakers might… :)

I found this general advice at The Company Store where I get my duvets..

• Shake it up: To evenly distribute the down fill inside its chambers, lift one end of the comforter and snap it sharply downward. Think of sending a wave down the comforter. You can do this when you take your comforter out of seasonal storage, and on a daily basis when you make the bed. Try it from both the end and from the side.
    • Check for clumps: Vigorously shake out your comforter as above, then hold it up to the light. Does the down bunch together in lumps, leaving light to shine through the shell everywhere else? Soap or fabric softener residue may be causing the down to clump. Clean your comforter according to its washing instructions. If your comforter is machine-washable, rinse it more than once. Be sparing with the soap, don’t use any fabric softener, and dry it thoroughly according to label instructions.
    • Air it out: On a sunny day with low humidity, hang your comforter outside. The fresh air and break from lying flat will do it good. Do this monthly, seasonally, or annually—it’s up to you.
    • Give it a tumble: If okayed by the care label, run your comforter on a heatless “air fluff” cycle. Use a dryer large enough to give your comforter room to tumble and move; you may need to use a commercial dryer at the laundromat. A large-enough dryer is well worth the trip, because the whole idea is to give the down room to move, expand, and loft. Include a few wool dryer balls to help gently break apart clumps, or use tennis balls. (Knot the tennis balls inside clean white socks to prevent color transfer)."

• DanielaAraya
    DanielaAraya Posts: 309

Oh I am so with you, Terri! After reading Maxwell's comment, I'm realizing my duvet insert falls into the old and flat category. Anxiously waiting for everyone's recommendations 😅