Suggestions for Wood Walls

chris9177
chris9177 Posts: 3
edited September 8 in Design Questions

Will be moving into a new home next week and one of the first projects on my list is the walls (plus ceiling in one room) and trim. (NOTE: Furnishings shown in pics aren't mine.) The only thing I'm sure of is that I want to lighten up the space, but am open to any and all suggestions on how to make that happen.

Comments

• DanielaAraya
    DanielaAraya Posts: 308

Such a fun space to work with! How do you feel about the wood walls? Do you want to keep the wood as-is and preserve it, or would you be open to painting or whitewashing the walls? I had a very similar looking situation in my cabin — dark wood walls and dark floors (mine were linoleum). Ultimately we decided to rip out a lot of the wood to reinsulate and drywall, but we did keep some of the original wood and painted it a lighter color to brighten up the space

If you want to preserve the walls as-is, I recommend creating a lighter color palette so there's brightness and cohesion within the furniture and decor you use in your home. My friend did this in her home by choosing a cream-colored white sofa and a lighter rug (seen here). The space still feels warm and cozy, but it's brightened up by the furniture. Do you have lighter pieces you can bring in?

• chris9177

Thank you! It's a neat little place with a ton of potential, and I do really like having the walls be wood rather than drywall. I'm definitely open to painting or whitewashing. In fact, I've been leaning that direction.

• chris9177

I'm 99% sure the walls will need to be sanded before painting. But, I felt like this was a project that warranted having a professional do it, so budgeted accordingly. Thinking slightly different whites on the walls and trim for a bit of a contrast.

• PurpleClover
    PurpleClover Posts: 1

So you're lucky enough for your new place to have gorgeous wooden walls and the first thought is to paint over them?! When you could complement them with furniture colours and accessories? 😥 If you feel like there's too much wood on view, you could hang some large artwork to break it up, or maybe tapestries, macramé, whatever you're into that won't ruin the wood. Lots of plants would look beautiful too! And if you use cooler "daylight" bulbs instead of warm yellow ones it will lighten everything up as well. Obviously if you do want to paint the wood that's your choice and I'm sure it will look nice; but it's not often you find lovely wooden walls like that, and it would be a shame to cover them.

• Diane
    Diane Posts: 3

My son has walls and a ceiling like yours. He painted his white. Make sure that you sand and prime before painting because over time the wood will bleed through your paint.

• Maynelander
    Maynelander Posts: 1

A pickled finish will leave the wood grain visible but substantially lighten the wood.

• Zephy
    Zephy Posts: 21
    edited September 11

Hi, @Chris977 — I was thinking like Maynelander above, a pickled or limed finish would leave the wood grain and knots showing but neutralize the yellow/orange tint to a grayed beige, probably easier to decorate with and certainly lighter. So you'd get the best of both worlds — wood look without the aggressively warm and darkish coloring. I don't think it would be any more effort to sand and refinish than to sand, prime, and paint. Possibly less work?

I also like @AdrienneBreaux's suggestion of painting the walls but leaving the wood ceilings as is. That would give a very cool, modern look! But only the bedroom seems to have the wooden ceiling. I actually like the coziness of the all-wood room, like a den, but I guess you really have to like the cabin-y feeling, and it certainly limits your color choices..

• Cheri
    Cheri Posts: 19

No Advice - Just wanted to comment and say what an adorable place you've got. So much potential to make it your own with all these great ideas. The wood floors in the living room and bedroom are to die for. Good Luck whichever way you go.

• losfrangeles
    losfrangeles Posts: 60 ✭✭✭

If I had wood paneling like this, I personally would lean into it and theme the room like a pirate ship (and add multiple light sources).

• DanielleBlundell
    DanielleBlundell Posts: 61

Expert

My mind was going too white paint, too! But maybe keeping the ceiling wood finished in a few of the spaces, kinda like this:

• SpaceMadness
    SpaceMadness Posts: 1

I really love the wood as is.

• WilloBea
    WilloBea Posts: 1

If this were my house (I actually had a house with one room paneled like this!)—I'd first look at the house as a whole and put my budget into the floors & LR/DR ceiling. Then I'd decide about the walls. I love the look of painted paneling but do think your vintage wood paneling could be really nice w/out paint: Sand the walls down and use a matte finish? Tone down the orange? Making sure the floors and walls work together will make or break with whatever you decide with the paneling. In my paneled room, I painted only the window frames & ceiling (white.) In your house, I'd paint the trim too to get continuity b/w rooms. That there is one painted wall in LR may mean that that entire space gets painted and bedroom etc stays natural wood. I think big area rugs, simple light (white) linen curtains will give everything a lift. Good luck!

• BG_design
    BG_design Posts: 2

Painting the wall light is a great option, leaving the ceiling wood. I've also used peel and stick wall paper. I cut the strips to match each board width with a rotary cutter and just overlap the seems a bit. They don't show because they are in the same seams as the wood. Just make sure you use some type of TSP on the wood before painting or papering.

I also use a dark paint on the trim like SW peppercorn to add a pop.

• heyjudith
    heyjudith Posts: 13

PLEASE, I implore you from the bottom of my heart DO NOT PAINT these gorgeous walls! Don't do it! These are classic, timeless, and beautiful. This is true craftsmanship. You can never go back if you ruin and devalue them with paint. I would give some serious thought to lighting: See if it is possible to add some indirect lighting in the ceiling. Use plenty of lamps. Consider portrait lights on a few pieces of art. Stay with warm white light bulbs, always. Install dimmer switches. See if any of the interior doors could be switched out for glass doors; I did this in a couple of areas in my house and it spreads light about. Ditto with mirrors, hung perpendicularly to windows. Go with light furniture/textiles where you can. Use the lightest window coverings possible; white plantation shutters or ivory sheers would be lovely. You will lose any sense of coziness if you paint, not to mention you are seriously undermining the architectural integrity of this home. Give it the love and respect it deserves; it has been waiting for you. Good luck to you, and please tell us what you decide!

• Abbylane
    Abbylane Posts: 8

Congratulations on your new place. The thing about advice on here is that no of us know YOU. We can give you lots of ideas and show you great examples of what might work but the bottom line is that this is your home and your energy resides here. What do you love?

A few questions to consider (feel free to answer or just contemplate on your own)… how do you feel in each room, do you gravitate toward wood in general, what is your preferred aesthetic? Can't wait to hear more about you and your intuition as to what direction to take this lovely space.

xo

Abby

• d7942
    d7942 Posts: 3

I think I'd start by sanding to see if the orangey look goes away and the wood lightens (that could have been caused by the primer, which tends to give that orange look with time.) If it's still too dark for your tastes, then you can always paint but I like the idea of trying to keep the natural look first. Also…is the wall behind the TV console/bookshelf already painted? If you really like the idea of painting the walls, you already have an idea of how it looks and you can also investigate what would it take to remove in case you change your mind in a few years.

I also agree with @WilloBea to start with the floors and ceilings…is that a popcorn ceiling I see in the dining room? If that's the case, that definitely has to go. 🤭Also the light fixtures/fans look old fashioned, so even if your style is more traditional, they could use an update.