Plant and interior stylist Hilton Carter Answers All Your Plant Questions!

hiltoncarter
hiltoncarter Posts: 15
edited September 10 in Design Questions

Hi! It’s Hilton Carter, plant and interior stylist and the author of several books, including Living Wild and The Propagation Handbook. I'm ready to chat about all things plants, including plant care and styling as well as designing and decorating with them. Drop your questions here! I'll be answering them live from 3 to 4 pm ET on Tuesday, September 10.

Comments

• DanielaAraya
    DanielaAraya Posts: 304

Hi Hilton! Years ago, you inspired me to take horticulture classes, and it was so rewarding to learn more about plants and all of their powers 💛 My question is: What do you recommend to somebody who is too nervous to try having plants in their home? I have a few family members with the perfect lighting conditions in their home who only buy faux plants because they're afraid to kill real ones, and it stings a little every time! No shame on faux plants—I use them for styling sometimes or in areas that get zero natural light—but I feel like the real deal would thrive in their space and bring them a lot of joy. Any tips for me to pass along?

• DanielaAraya
    DanielaAraya Posts: 304

And one more question (non-plant related) for good measure: How did Holland like her new bedroom? I'm obsessed! 🦄

• CullenOrmond
    CullenOrmond Posts: 149

Expert

hi Hilton! so excited that you're answering all things plants. I love filling my home with flowers and will often make my own bouquets based on what's available at the store. what's a great flower combination for the fall season?

• lex0
    lex0 Posts: 1

Hello! I was wondering if there are any large cat safe plants that you would recommend? Something I could place next to a floor mirror, for example. Bonus points if they don't need too much light. Thanks!!

• Rachel
    Rachel Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited September 10

Hi Hilton, I had so many pothos plants thriving on my balcony this summer (they do so much better there than in the house), but I'm not sure when (or if?) i should take them in for the fall. (I live in boston). Would appreciate any advice!

• Plantriana
    Plantriana Posts: 7

Hello Carter, I've gotten so much inspiration (and encouragement!) from both of your books and I'm so excited that you're joining us today!

I have a thriving monstera that is starting to outgrow its pot, so I'm getting ready to transplant. Any advice for setting her up so she doesn't get too leggy? I had another one that I ended up growing kind of like a tree (up a spike), and I'd like this one stay full

How important, in general, is pruning for indoor-all-season houseplants? Is it mostly about shaping? Does it matter which season you prune if the temp isn't going to fluctuate season to season?

Finally, I have a rosemary whose needles have been curling in. I'm watering enough and I keep a humidifier nearby. Anything else you'd recommend to help her live her best rosemary life? She's in front of the window, full southwest light

• brianmahoney
    brianmahoney Posts: 2

I just moved to a new apartment that actually has a little bit of natural light (shocking!). What are the best starter plants for apartment living for someone with a brown thumb (I've literally killed a cactus before)?

• NicR
    NicR Posts: 1

Hi! How did you learn to get so good at plant care and design?

• orangebowtie
    orangebowtie Posts: 7

I recently updated this area of my kitchen (thanks to help from the community here, yay!) and I'm wondering what sort of plants would work in this space. The windows face north / north-east so I get some light in the mornings, but otherwise it can be pretty dark. I also worry if where I have the pots as placeholders, if those locations are too high? Because of light and if I might forget to water them 😅

2255405 Posts: 1

Hello Hilton: I have a ten year old spider plant that is out of control. What is best way to re-pot? Root system is one giant tight ball. How did I divided this up?

• Hi Hilton! I'm noticing this white fuzzy specks on this fiddle leaf tree. Any clue what this is or if I should be concerned? Thank you!!

• Hi Hilton, I wanted to know what is your take on growing herbs indoors by 2 windows. By one window they could recieve direct sunlight for about 4-6 hours a day the other one would be about 6-8 hours of light a day. What kind of herbs and plants would you recommend growing indoors with those lighting conditions? Indoors it is temperature controlled and doesn't really ever get below 32° F as the heat is almost suggests on in the winters. What kind of herbs do you think would be best to grow indoors. Do you think rosemary could work as an indoor plant, I'm not so sure about thyme though. What indoor houseplant would you recommend for inside bathrooms to help fight off lingering humidity and fight off mold? What houseplants would you recommend that could be easier to keep in bedrooms that release oxygen at night and won't cause allergies I'm allergic to ferns so far. Any advice, recommendations would be greatly appreciated. 😊 I hope you will have a nice day. Thank you for doing these Q&As. Sure many will appreciate it.

• StephanieNguyen
    StephanieNguyen Posts: 87

Expert

I am nervous about bringing real plants into my home! What are the best, low-maintenance house plants I should start with?

• Rebecca
    Rebecca Posts: 30

I often feel like I’m overcrowding my plants in a pot that’s too small, what would you suggest I put this plant in?

• Rebecca
    Rebecca Posts: 30

is there anything I can do to revive these leaves?

• hiltoncarter

Hi Daniela! Love plant lovers! So if your fam has good light but are hesitant to bring in plants because they think they might kill them, it might be worth trying to walk them through the process of care, one plant at a time. This will give them the encouragement to bring in more. And thanks for asking about Holland. She absolutely LOVED her new room. We have an easier time having her go to bed now. 😂

• hiltoncarter
    edited September 10

Hi Patty! I think its up to the plant "parent". Do what you feel will keep your plant thriving. But when you're tapped in, you tweak each mix for each specific plant.🤟

• hiltoncarter

Hey Cullen! Thanks for the message. While I know houseplants, I'm not well versed in florals. Sorry 😩🤦‍♂️

• hiltoncarter

Hi! I'd go with a parlor palm. But they need at least med light

• hiltoncarter

Hey Rachel! Its funny how these "house" plants love being outside. 😂 Sorry to say they'll have to come in by late October. Especially in Boston. 😍

• hiltoncarter

Hi! Thank you for the kind words. In terms of your monstera, the best way to encourage more growth and less legginess, is to add more light. I'd introduce a grow light. And i prune to shape and to propagate! Not necessary tho.

• hiltoncarter

Brian, I've killed a cactus before as well. WE ALL HAVE! Haha! Congrats on the natural light! It's a game changer! Especially when you're trying to introduce houseplants. I'd suggest the basics: snake plants, zz plants, or scheffleras. Good luck!

• hiltoncarter

Hi! I got good with plant care via trial and error and then deciding to focus on the care. I learned design in art school. 😍

• hiltoncarter

With the amount of light (or lack there of) and how high up they are, I'd suggest plants light snake plants or zz plants that don't require a lot of light or moisture. When plants are placed higher up in a space, we are more likely to not water them as often.

• hiltoncarter

Hi! Happy 10 years to you and your spider! Thats awesome! To divide it up, you'll have to gently separate the root ball, which might mean breaking a few of them. In all situations, repotting can cause the plant to freak out. No worries tho, they will bounce back.

• hiltoncarter

Oh Rachelle, be concerned. 😳😔 That is a mealy bug. And if there is one, there is definitely two. But get this, we ALL get them at some point and you'll just want to separate if from the other plants and wipe the entire plant down with neem oil once a week for the next 4 weeks. You got this, Rachelle! 👊

• hiltoncarter

I understand being nervous. Bringing a living plant into your house can be a big responsibility. Depending on the quality of light in your home, I'd suggest plants like pothos, philodendron, cacti, dieffenbachia, sansevieria or zz plants.

• hiltoncarter

Rebecca, thanks for the question. When it comes to overcrowding a plant in a pot, please understand its the size of the plants root system that should dictate the size of the pot, not the size of the plant above the pot.

• hiltoncarter

I'm sorry but no. Once they droop like this, they stay like that. But to encourage the new growth to grow and stay upright, placing the BOP in a spot with lots of light will help.

• Tordellini
    Tordellini Posts: 1

Hello! Whenever I have a plant that is struggling I try to diagnose the problem online but the answer is always either I'm overwatering or underwatering? How can it be both? How can you tell which one is the problem? Is there a better resource out there that can better pinpoint a problem? Thanks so much!

• NikiCreatives
    NikiCreatives Posts: 45

What kinds of home plants are best for purifying the air? Thanks!