Tips on how to paint your kitchen cabinets?

Has anyone ever braved the DIY of painting their kitchen cabinets? I'd love to hear your experience and an honest opinion on whether it's a project worth tackling yourself. I know everyone recommends sanding/priming first, but what else is there to know? Any tips to share?

Comments

• heyjudith
    heyjudith Posts: 13

Preparation is everything. Allow plenty of time for this project and don't cut corners. I painted a set of builder grade cabinets in a friend's kitchen and began by cleaning cabinets and doors thoroughly, inside and out. Remove doors. Remove all hardware from doors. Now is the time to fill in holes if you are changing out hardware that won't fit the existing screw holes. Tape off everything that you don't want paint to touch. Thoroughly sand all surfaces that will be painted. Wipe all surfaces with a tack cloth. Make sure that you use an appropriate paint, and buy the best quality you can afford. Ask the paint sellers for recommendations. This will entirely transform your kitchen!

• Diane
    Diane Posts: 3

I've watched tons of videos on how to paint kitchen cabinets. I agree with heyjudith to not rush the project. It is a lot of work depending on how many cabinets you have. After reviewing many paints, I think that Benjamin Moore Advance paint for cabinets is probably the best one to use. Sure, you can use chalk paint and skip steps, but many who have used it say it eventually chips. BM has videos on their website to explain how to use their paint on cabinets. My kitchen has lots of cabinets so before I attempt to paint them, I'm going to do a test run on a small bathroom vanity that is the same type of cabinet as my kitchen. I have a feeling I'm going to call a pro in just because there are so many cabinets! Good luck with your project!

• DanielaAraya
    DanielaAraya Posts: 304

This is great advice and it's so appreciated. I struggle with patience on DIYs. I always want to do the project as soon as it pops into my head, so knowing that I definitely need to plan and give myself time here is really great to know. Thanks Judith!

• DanielaAraya
    DanielaAraya Posts: 304

Okay yes! I've heard the same thing about chalk paint! There are so many random paint brands I've seen pop up throughout my searches and their promises seem too good to be true. That's smart to do a test run in a smaller area before you dive into the full project. Keep me posted on how your project turns out, and I'll do the same 😅