Entryway/hallway decor ideas

SarahKrock
SarahKrock Posts: 8
edited August 11 in Design Questions

The entryway and hallway in our home has basically been untouched since we moved in. It feels flat needs something to give it life :)) Suggestions would be amazing ! I’m lost

Comments

• DanielaAraya
    DanielaAraya Posts: 304
    edited August 11

Gorgeous light fixture! What if you traded your existing rug for a runner down the hallway? That way, your eyes are drawn into the home. Even better: draw them up by painting or wallpapering the ceiling something unexpected. It would look amazing 🤩

I also recommend a slim entryway table underneath the mirror to style some decorative pieces and add your personality to the room. Do you feel like you need more storage in that area? Maybe hanging some baskets like this underneath where your hooks are to hide somethings you might not want in the open?

• SarahKrock

Love all suggestions! thank you ! Would of never thought of a long runner down the hallway or the ceiling wallpaper/paint change.

• CullenOrmond
    CullenOrmond Posts: 149

Expert

hi @SarahKrock! your home is so, so gorgeous! what about wallpapering or painting the stairs? or, if you wanted to add some cushioning to them — what about a fun rug or carpeting? I love what these homeowners did to their stairs! please share photos of whatever you decide to do :)

• MaxwellAT
    MaxwellAT Posts: 52

Expert

@SarahKrock I agree with all that's been said and just wanted to provide a picture and a few more ideas.

Your entryway is spacious and has lovely proportions, and it just feels vacant/empty/cold right now so it needs to be warmed up while also made to work harder. An entryway is a crucial part of any home as it's your prep station for going out and coming home. If you don't capture all that activity in the entryway, it will bleed into the rest of your home!

So,
    1. By the front door:

• two cute benches that will allow you to sit down and put on shoes or take off boots
    • a coir/coconut matt for wiping dirty shoes (inside AND outside is best) I get mine at CocoMats and More where you can order them to your specific dimension (which means you can make them bigger than standard and even run across the entry from wall to wall.
    • colorful rectangular rug that stretches from the room on the left to the room on the right

2. Down the hallway:

• Yes, a runner to the back of the hall
    • another runner would be really nice up the staircase
    • a full Landing Strip (you can read all about it here) with console, mirror, umbrella stand, wastepaper basket etc…. charging station…

You could also gussy up your nice walls with art, but I would keep the hallway wall clean with just your landing strip and mirror, and would suggest running family photos up the staircase wall. This could grow over time to be a really nice personal collection!

Good luck!

• SarahKrock

WOW!!! I'm loving all these ideas and so much insight /guidance when feeling stuck on what to do in a room etc. I'm thankful for finding the apartment therapy community - Both my husband and I have been working remote since Covid - and I think creating a space that is not only functional but makes you feel at peace/happy is so important.

"We shape our homes and then our homes shape us" - Winston Churchill

One of my favorite quotes

• Zephy
    Zephy Posts: 20

I love the windows to either side of the door, with the green leaves visible beyond. Lovely!

My ideas are similar to what others have said — add color (rugs! Maybe art? I love the idea of photos going up the stairwell wall.) Add a narrow table or shelf under the mirror for mail, keys, other stuff you need on the way in or out of the house. Your entry is admirably clean and empty of clutter, which is impressive. But it also looks like no one lives there. Just a few personal touches would make it come alive.

• SNandez
    SNandez Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

Some super simple ideas, I just kept within the current color scheme. Not sure if you want to paint or go big with alterations. I'd also add some artwork up the stairwell. Definitely a more formal entry approach. And of course flowers in the vase haha.

Runner Table Vase

• BlairDonovan
    BlairDonovan Posts: 53

Expert

wow i really love the paint color and the existing mirror! i agree with adding some sort of bench or console table underneath. if you go the console table route, depending on the length of the piece, you could also add some upholstered storage ottomans underneath for a little bit more color/pattern

• SarahKrock

thank you so much again for all the feedback and suggestions! Added this sideboard and working on gallery wall going up the stairs

• DanielleBlundell
    DanielleBlundell Posts: 61

Expert

The table looks great! I was going to suggest a galley wall going up the staircase, and I second or third the runner up the staircase; I think this will make everything seem more polished, colorful, and finished!