What is the best mattress for back pain?

LizzyFrancis
LizzyFrancis Posts: 54

Expert

edited August 17 in Design Questions

I have had the same queen-sized mattress for almost 11 years now (yikes!). It's getting to the point that when I roll over in the middle of the night (I'm a bit of an active sleeper) I can hear my back crack in like a dozen tiny pops. And I have back pain almost every day. We're looking to FINALLY replace our mattress this year — does anyone have any recommendations on the best mattress for back pain, or for active/combination sleepers?

Comments

• my727
    my727 Posts: 20

It is interesting, that which type of mattress comforts one person's sore back, might have the opposite effect on someone else's sore back. Although most people that I know with back issues seem to prefer a firmer mattress? I myself love a moderately firm mattress (no sagging can be tolerated, but it can not be 'hard' either)
    but I need a foam topper on it. Some with back issues dislike the foam toppers, I love mine and can not be without it. It has made allllllll the difference for Me, but your mileage may vary.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BNC8V2Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I wish you luck in your search. My sister in law, who has no budget, did get one of the beds that you can adjust firmness with a button, she swears by it to help her back pain.

• MaxwellAT
    MaxwellAT Posts: 52

Expert

Hi @LizzyFrancis This is a great question, but also one that is going to be so different for each person. IN GENERAL however, I'd say that

1. your current mattress is old, so a new mattress will def help

2. I've heard good things about HELIX mattresses which you can customize the way you want

3. I really like Saatva matresses and have had two, and AGREE a nice topper is a divine way to finish off a bed as you can keep the mattress firm and yet let the top be soft…

they have a nice topper too…

• heyjudith
    heyjudith Posts: 13

Looks like you will need a firm or at least a medium-firm mattress. Do you sleep hot? If so, you will want to avoid a mattress containing foam, memory foam, etc. I have a twin latex mattress in a guest room and find that it gives me excellent support. The next mattress I purchase for myself will be one of 100% latex. Compare prices, as they are all over the place. Also visit The Sleep Sherpa on line and see what he recommends for your particular issues. A good night's sleep is beyond critical, and it's worth the research to find the one that's right for you.

• Morgan333
    Morgan333 Posts: 2

Thanks for the Sleep Sherpa suggestion. New to me. I have decided to buy a hybrid medium firm for my back issues. I am still unsure about buying a bed in a box, so still shopping. My budget cannot afford the most expensive, but interestingly of the usual suspects, I surprisingly have a possibility at Penny's, where I have not shopped in years. Keep your eyes open is my best recommendation.