Help -- my living room is impossible!

Zephy
Zephy Posts: 20

My LR is a real challenge — a smallish, narrow, darkish but centrally located room with 5 doors/doorways and 4 windows, a major crossroads in my apartment and the first room you see when you enter (no foyer). At the moment, we're trying to use it for conversation, dining and TV watching, but really the TV is the main use (we often eat in front of the TV). Other rooms are pleasanter because they get more light, so we tend not to hang out there during the day, but we can't ignore this room because we walk through it every day. It is cosy at night, and I do like small, irregularly shaped rooms, so I don't find it unattractive, but it is a problem

. Any ideas for how to use it better, given the lack of light?

Tagged:

Comments

• Zephy
  • Zephy

Here's a better photo!

• jj123
    jj123 Posts: 4

Light, light and more light. standing lights, hanging lights, table lights, etc., small modern table and chairs, small end tables, more storage pieces, rug or rugs, and close that door to the other room. Declutter

• CullenOrmond
    CullenOrmond Posts: 149

Expert

hi @Zephy! for starters, I'm obsessed with that stained glass in the living room! I completely understand this experience. my bedroom has no natural light and I chose to lean into the darkness and create a super moody space. since you're using it to host and watch television, would you ever consider playing into the dark aesthetic? think: moody wallpaper and warm lights?

• Zephy

Hi — Thanks for the responses! @CullenOrmond: The dark aesthetic — I feel like people who advise going dark in dark rooms don't realize how dark my room actually is. I've seen black walls work in a bright sunny room, and dark can be gorgeous and moody. I think in this case, the room can get so dark (it changes throughout the day) that it would become truly depressing if the walls were also painted dark. It might work in a private room, like a bedroom. But since this is public and used throughout the day, the idea of having to turn on lights in order for guests to walk through it is just depressing. But — thanks for reminding me how gorgeous my stained glass is! I was so focused on the problems I forgot to mention it!

@jj123 Clutter? What clutter??

I think you nailed all the main things I have to do. But specifically, where would you put the modern table? And the TV (currently out of sight on the left)?I don't even know how to lay out this room. Nothing seems to work.

• nellgo64
    nellgo64 Posts: 2
    edited August 6

Hey! A few questions …

-Is it possible to open up the 2 windows directly behind the couch ?

-Could you reorganize the room behind those windows to allow you to open the windows ?

Regardless of the questions above:

I'm not 100% sure what the set up of the whole room is, but based off the 2nd picture, I'd suggest rotating the couch/credenza/desk 1 place to the right (leave out the armchair! I think it's perfect where it is). Put your TV on top of the credenza and have that against the desk wall. I've found that having a window in your periphery can trick your brain into thinking the room is brighter than it is. Like I said, I'm not sure this will work because I don't know exactly how the room is laid out, but I think it could work! Also, moving things around always helps give you new ideas :)

I also think you could get an inexpensive pendant lamp to plug in and hang from the ceiling to brighten up the space if you need — floor lamps are great but they take up space + you already have one in there. I would also decide between 1 of the 2 desk chairs and move the second chair into a different room if you can, will definitely help lighten up the space since there are a lot of dark wood tones in there.

• Zephy

Oh, thank you @nellgo64 ! Lots of good ideas here. I will ponder.

Yes, the windows behind the couch open. Unfortunately, my Sig. Other's stuff is in the room beyond, which is "his" personal space (except we eat breakfast in there because it's so pleasantly light in the mornings).

• MaxwellAT
    MaxwellAT Posts: 52

Expert

@Zephy this IS an impossible room in the sense that it really is a hallway in itself. The upside of this room is that it is large, central and "cozy" as you say at night when you watch TV, etc…. I would double down on this and basically transform it from "hallways" to "library" with TV watching at the core.

In keeping with that I would - and it's hard for me to see from the photos - dedicate one wall to TV on low console of some kind that can carry storage and even a top surface area for books, candles, etc… and opposite place your sofa, while INVEST in a nice big rug for the center of the room to pull it all together!

Move any bookcases you have into this room. make it even cozier, add a coffee table (I can't see one) and just expand the "library/living room" feel of the whole room from the center to the edges.

Also to easily light up this room with a small footprint, I would suggest uplights in the corners with a radio switch to make the easy to turn on..
    Lights: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CF1TLDSV/?tag=apartmentth0a-20
    Radio Switch: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D2BY7VY/?tag=apartmentth0a-20 Best, M

• Zephy

@MaxwellRyan Thank you! I love the idea of making the space a library, and I love the idea of using uplights in the corners. And many people have suggested a rug. The wheels are starting to turn . . .

It's still difficult because the other end of the room, behind where I'm standing to take the photo, is not square but has wall jogs, a built-in closet, windows, a through-traffic corridor, and the main entry on a diagonal wall . . . I don't think there's a long bare wall anywhere where I could put a couch or a low credenza with TV. But you've given me a new idea for how to think about the space. And I would dearly love to get all my books together in one place (they're currently spread through 3 different rooms). Funny, I never thought of trying to do that in this room . . .

Btw, there's a copy of your book in this very living room at this very moment (in a bookcase off camera).

Thanks, all!