Initial thoughts and ideas?

Okay, I haven't even moved in yet, and I'm not allowed to make any permanent changes as my in-laws own this home. But I'm just itching to make renter friendly updates to this house with it's fun early 80s bones and obviously outdated scaryness!

šŸ™€

Comments

• Judyjudyjudy
    Judyjudyjudy Posts: 7 āœ­

what a great spot. If you can remove the wallpaper and border, you will see a big difference. Maybe paint it a green, as Iā€™m a lover of black I would leave the light fixture, add a new blind or curtain, perhaps black wood tone. Iā€™d consider covering the appliances as mentioned by DanielaAraya, for the countertop of the pass through could you cover it with a live edge wooden piece. Thinking some fresh flowers or a plant there would be seen from both rooms - double value. When selecting a backsplash if using faux tiles, and why not, perhaps attach them to foam board that you can wedge into the spot. If it were possible to frame over the island and change the counter top there - perhaps a large tile matching or coordinating with the backsplash it could easily become your focal point. Such a fun spot, hoping you enjoy the challenge, and your family appreciates the efforts.

• BlairDonovan
    BlairDonovan Posts: 66

Expert

i have a very similar looking kitchen in my apartment! i haven't made a ton of changes (since i can only do so much as a renter), but styling the countertops has made a huge difference. i splurged on a Smeg toaster and it's been such a cute little focal point. you could also get some fun spice jars or a pretty utensil holder to make the kitchen feel more personalized/decorative. mine also came with a little built-in coffee mug holder (something like this) mounted underneath one of the cabinets, which is great for storage and adds a homey feel.

i'm all for decorating the fridge, too ā€” here's a very easy magnet project that looks vintage and super chic!

• CullenOrmond
    CullenOrmond Posts: 167

Expert

hi @DanaLeianne4869! I'm obsessed with the wavy divider between the kitchen and living room. have you considered contact paper for the cabinets and countertops? that could make a huge difference! if you're looking for an easier project, I agree with @DanielaAraya that swapping out the hardware would add some fun to the space. some greenery on the countertops would also add some color!

• SNandez
    SNandez Posts: 79 āœ­āœ­āœ­

So much potential!! @DanielaAraya said everything I would say. So really, I'm here for the results now šŸæ haha. Would love to see what you do!

• DanielleBlundell
    DanielleBlundell Posts: 70

Expert

Would you ever vinyl wrap your appliances? Iā€™ve seen designer Leanne Ford do it to a range that she wanted to be a copper finish, and people also temporarily cover fridges, too. The vinyl wraps are similar to the peel and stick wallpapers that feel more like contact paper versus paper-paper; theyā€™re just thicker and more industrial strength, but they donā€™t interfere with cooking at all and are totally reversible. Just some other food for thought!

• LittleVintageCottage
    LittleVintageCottage Posts: 3 āœ­

Another option if you like the cottage core vibe is to lean into what you have. That wallpaper could be really cute if you played it up! I love the idea of covering the fridge. You could remove a couple of cupboard doors (save them to put back when you move out) and wallpaper the inside and create faux open shelving, add some cute rugs, switch out the bar chairs, add some cute vintage art and accents in the colors from the wallpaper, and switch out the hardware on the rest of the cabinets.

• SarahEverett
    SarahEverett Posts: 51

Expert

@DanaLeianne4869 my eyes immediately go to the island! i'm really inspired by this renter-friendly island refresh by Katherine Thewlis. she covered her dated wooden island with 3D peel-and-stick tile. you could do peel-and-stick tile or even pole wrap!

• MeganBakerDetloff
    MeganBakerDetloff Posts: 112

Expert

@DanaLeianne4869 I agree with the above comment, I think lean into the cottagecore since you know the wallpaper has to stay!

can't wait to hear what you decide! PLEASE send photos!

• TreyfVixen
    TreyfVixen Posts: 3 āœ­

Love this kitchen. To start - I LOVE a ranch and am an anti-fan of cottage-core. (Just had to get that off my chest). and tho you have some pretty intense parameters about what can't be changed, if you have the budget, I would experiment with removable wallpaper (testing a small hidden area first to make sure removing it won't damage the original paper). That will open worlds of opportunity for you. and yes - I agree with above suggestions of rugs, plants, varied directional lighting (sconces, lamps, etc); avoiding using the overhead will give the whole space more dimension and interest. (My overhead has never worked in my kitchen and the wall lighting I have is plenty great for snacks to feasts).
    Congratulations - can't wait to see how you grow the space

• losfrangeles
    losfrangeles Posts: 63 āœ­āœ­āœ­

What this kitchen needs most are COLOR and some more light.

Will your in-laws allow you to paint the walls - or even the cabinets? I also agree with vinyl wrapping the appliances. Can you swap out the ceiling fixtures for something better?

• NikiCreatives
    NikiCreatives Posts: 53 āœ­
    edited September 27

I guess adding a peel-and-stick backsplash behind the stove might work nicely - it would break up the wood and add a modern touch. Also, since the island is the focal point, maybe dress it up with a fun runner or some plants to bring in some greenery?

Iā€™d also consider swapping out the cabinet hardware for something more contemporary to give the space a fresh update. Looking forward to seeing the results!