HELP - Giant Wall!

I moved into a home with a gabled roof which provides a huge living room wall. That wall also feeds into the hallway, and is the focal point of the room. How can I create some division between the living room and hallway, and break up this huge wall? It’s way too large to make it a big gallery wall on my budget, and I don’t want a standing mirror there because my cat like to run his laps through that area. 🤪 Help!

Comments

• losfrangeles
    losfrangeles Posts: 62 ✭✭✭

I had a huge wall in my last place and hung up a vintage bus roll. At 7 feet long and 3 feet wide, it was very effective at delineating space. Perhaps a similarly large art piece would work?

If you're on a budget, you can find your nearest art supply store and buy the biggest canvas you can lug home, then DIY your own artwork and hang it up (make sure your cat won't run into it when the zoomies strike).

• AlisonGoldman
    AlisonGoldman Posts: 20

Expert

@user2355532 , would you consider painting a wall mural? I love how even really simple painted shapes can delineate one area from another on a wall. Here are some examples! https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/geometric-wall-paint-36763518

• ColletteReitz
    ColletteReitz Posts: 3

Expert

Large blank spaces are tough @user2355532! But I think a blanket ladder (here are some great options) at the edge of the living room could be a great solution! It's not as bulky as a mirror, and it doesn't jut out too far from the wall (gotta have a cat run!), but it will separate the space. And then you have a smaller space above the TV to do a smaller gallery wall or even add a couple floating shelves if you want to further define the living room space.

• AmritaThakkar
    AmritaThakkar Posts: 25

Expert

This might seem a bit basic, but we had a similar wall in my childhood home growing up, and we hung a beaded curtain in the area where it leads to the "doorway" to create some delineation. A few years later, we replaced it with a sheer curtain. It's worth trying and pretty affordable!

• SarahEverett
    SarahEverett Posts: 51

Expert

There are some really beginner-friendly, renter-friendly, budget-friendly (all the friendlies!) versions of picture frame moulding projects I'm inspired by here and here.

• NikiCreatives
    NikiCreatives Posts: 45

Is mounting the TV an option? If so, I'd start there.

• DanielaAraya
    DanielaAraya Posts: 317

Love all of these suggestions. What if you got a tall skinny cabinet of some sort that went to the right of the TV and almost acted as a "divider" between the living area and the entryway? I do think furnishing the entry zone with some of the essentials (mirror, key hooks, table, etc.) will help make feel separate from the rest too.

+1 to paint/murals — this is such an inexpensive and creative way to make spaces feel their own!

• BlairDonovan
    BlairDonovan Posts: 53

Expert

oooh what a great blank canvas! i'm personally loving screens or room dividers right now, even if they're not being used as partitions. you could put one against the wall next to the TV to fill out the space and create more height. it would add more color and pattern to the room, too, depending on the style you choose. i'm not sure your budget, but West Elm has a nice tiered one. The Inside is also a great brand for custom upholstered screens. otherwise this rattan West Elm room divider would be perfect for some neutral texture